Model of Mount Rainier, Washington

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
gregb

Model of Mount Rainier, Washington

Post by gregb »

Here was a fun project using USGS DEM (digital elevation model) data.

The Model is about 7 inches by 10 inches and 1.5 inches deep and is to exact scale.

I used a 2 x 8 piece of lumber for the model.

I plan to paint it soon showing the glaciers, streams and valleys.
Greg
Attachments
Finished model before painting
Finished model before painting
Roughing out.
Roughing out.

Zcases
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Zcases »

Looks like a nice job. How long does the cutting take on this, and I wonder what your speeds and stepovers are? I am considering abandoning the present way I do these and trying cut3d.......

Scott

gregb

Post by gregb »

Hi Zcases,

The cutting on this model took a long time because I am using a homemade CNC which has a small trim router for the spindle. (Porter Cable -about 1 HP). Also I was using pine wood which although soft still requires slow speeds to carve properly using small 1/8 inch ball nose bits.

For roughing I used a 1/2 inch straight bit, 40% Stepover, and 15-20 ipm. It took about 2 hours.

For finishing I used a 1/8 inch ball nose, 5/16 inch length, 1/4 inch shaft dia., but I was having trouble when the bit got to the sides of the model. It would plunge straight down trying to carve the vertical sides of the model, and jamb the bit. Tony Mac told me how to solve this problem by using the Cut 3D negative margins feature around the model.

I also used a 1/8 inch straight bit that was 3/8 inch long to "rough cut" the finishing pass. There was just to much depth of material to remove for the shorter ball nose bit. This rough finish cut took about 7 hours, at 5-15 ipm.

The final finish pass took about 3 hours at 25-30 ipm. step over was about 15% as I recall.

I am sure with a bigger cnc machine, more powerful router, different materials, and heavier duty 1/2 inch shaft bits the job could be done a lot faster.

By the way here is a link about terrain models that might be of interest:

www.solidterrainmodeling.com/NGS_movie.htm

Would be great if someone knows how to make one of those 4 color 3D printing heads to add to our cnc machines.

I was looking at your web site. Great looking models!

What methods do you use to paint the models? How to you go about making the 3D models if I may ask?

Greg

Zcases
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Zcases »

Cut 3d looks very efficient at this. I have been converting the DEM data to ascii, then converting the ascii data to G-code, then I backplot the G-code into a cam package. Once backplotted into the cam software I can edit my rough pass depths.

This provides for extremely accurate data, as each point (I use 10m latitude/longitude data) is a destination for the toolpath.

But I think Cut3d would be the way to go. I will have to get this someday. I like the looks of its roughing strategy.

Scott

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Wow, that looks really great! :D I've been waiting to see someone bring one of these to fruition.

The only problem I see now is the length of the bits, because to enlarge the size of the model to lets say 4ftx4ft, the depth will have to get quite deep also....assuming your Z movement and clearance is enough, if the model is that size would the spindle have enough clearance without longer bits?.....I suppose it would depend on the gradient of the landscape your carving....

Any ideas?

gregb

Post by gregb »

I just used Cut3D to see what the depth would be on my model if one side was 4 feet (48 inches) wide. This would be keeping the dimensions locked to the original real world proportions. The dimensions would be 70 in. by 48 in. by 11 inches deep. To cut this model you could use the Cut3D slice feature. Slice the model into eleven one inch sections and then assemble it.

Greg

gregb

Post by gregb »

Scott,

The method I used for this model was:

-Get the DEM data for Mount Rainier from the USGS as explained in a previous post (about using grey scale techniques for terrain models). I had to get four DEM grids of data to get the whole mountain. I used the 10 meter data.

-Using the free MicroDem program, import the four data sets and merge them into one data set. Then save the merged DEM data.

-Used the free AccuTrans program. Imported DEM data and output a 3D .obj file.

-imported this .obj file directly into Cut3D.

Greg

gregb

Post by gregb »

Here are some photos of the painted Mount Rainier model, showing the top caldera and the glaciers and streams flowing off the mountain into the valleys below. I put a frame around it with some Vcarve lettering. The model is about 8 inches by 7 inches and about 2.5 inches total height. It is to exact scale.

For my next model I may exagerate the height by a factor of 1.5 to 2.0 to make the mountain features stand out more.

A model like this could also be used as a center piece for a cribbage board. But that is another project to work on later.

Gregb
Attachments
East-South Side.jpg
East-North Side.jpg
North-West Side.jpg
West Side.jpg
Overhead.jpg
Close-up.jpg

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Very cool! :D