Cut3D Face

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
maldak
Model of CNC Machine: Flexicam, ShopBot Buddy BT48,Vision 2448

Cut3D Face

Post by maldak »

Hi,

I made my first project with Cut3D. It was to make a Halloween mask of a friend of mine. I started this by scanning his face with a Minolta Vivid 910 scanner. The scanner did give me some reflection in his eyes and teeth - so I brought this into ArtCam to flatten this. I then brought this file into Cut3D - sliced it up onto 4 layers, and then cut it in VCarvePro. I used 3/4" ultra light MDF. I then used a vacuum former to for plastic for the mask - then painted it.
Attachments
Halloween Mask
Halloween Mask
Layers with wood filler
Layers with wood filler
Part put together in layers
Part put together in layers
Actual Cut part
Actual Cut part
Original file in VCarve after bringing in from Cut3D
Original file in VCarve after bringing in from Cut3D

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

lol, thats fantastic....and really freaky! I'd love to get lots of people running around with my face as a mask, although my wife thinks one of me is more than enough! lol Well done. :)

maldak

Post by maldak »

You should have seen the face on the guy when he saw his face on me at the party !!!

DavidCousins
Vectric Wizard

Outstanding

Post by DavidCousins »

Wow, I'm amazed. How did you get your hands on the scanner?

maldak

Post by maldak »

Hi David -

I own the scanner. It's a long story about how I came to own it. It does work very fast when scanning - only about 4-5 seconds and I have the full face scanned. This is just a single scan straight onto the face. If I wanted to get all the sides I would then have to scan different angles and stitch it all together.

DavidCousins
Vectric Wizard

Post by DavidCousins »

So how much does a scanner like that cost? Is it one of those, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" questions?

I want one. :)

DavidCousins
Vectric Wizard

Post by DavidCousins »

What bits did you use for roughing and final pass?

maldak

Post by maldak »

Well - when these were new they were crazy in cost. I picked this up used about a year ago for a project - and it was about 18K. I plan to use it much more in the coming year as well and hopefully make all the money back - otherwise I would never have bought it. As for tooling for the face - I used a 1/2" end mill for roughing and a 1/8" ball nose for the finishing toolpath. I actually also cut this into a 2x6 piece also. The 2x6 was 1.51" thick and I set the face to fit for that thickness. It ran well for that also. For that one I used a 1/4" endmill and a 1/16" ball nose. - Tom

maldak

Post by maldak »

Here's a picture of the 2x6 piece. I made a mistake with it once too. I used the 1/2" endmill and I set my machine to not go past a certain depth. I do this with each job to protect my table - just in case !
I then didn't reset the depth - so when I went to the ballnose it didn't cut all the way down the side. It came out pretty good anyway.
Attachments
Cut out of a regular 2x6 piece of wood.
Cut out of a regular 2x6 piece of wood.