Recent Cut3d project

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
Jeffery71

Recent Cut3d project

Post by Jeffery71 »

Here is a photo of a recent cut3d project. The elk is from vectorclip3d.com and the rest is of my own design. It came
out a little darker than I wanted. Still learning the gelstains.

Jeff T.
Attachments
Recent project
Recent project

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Very nice! I like the staining!

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Very nice. :)

Where do you buy your gel stains, I've been looking for some?

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

That is an awsome piece. I think the staining is perfect, you caught the shading just right. So how do you add the v3d model into your own desighn if you dont mind me asking, What software do you use to model with? HOw big is that? that would look great as a coffie table with glass over it. Ive seen tables like that in whistler bc canada go for over $10,000.
Sorry for all questions but that has bc canada all over it. Great job. Graham

norbert dupuis

Post by norbert dupuis »

Congratulation! it's a very nice job. what wood do you use?
Norbert Dupuis
www.vectorclip3d.com

Jeffery71

Post by Jeffery71 »

Hey guys,

Breadboard, I used Minwax brand gel stains. I found these at walmart. I think homedepot has them also. I put one coat of polyurethane, let it dry then apply the gel stain. followed by another coat of polly. I want to try using lacquer at some point as it drys much faster than the poly.

Graham, I use a program called other modelling software to do the landscape. It is a pretty good program for free sculpting. The elk model I just delete the areas of the model i dont' want. I then added a little more depth to the elk. To put it in to the landscape I dont' actually join it at all. I just move the model around to the point that i want it and save the file as is. cut3d doesnt' seem to care if they are joined or not.
This log measures about 2.5inch thick x 20 inch wide and 60 inch long.
I would like to make some coffee tables at some point.. I want to get set up and more items like this and also do custom work. Tell ya what I'll let you have it for 5,000 ... thats half price! lol

Norbert, It is eastern white pine. I have quite a bit left in slabs like this.

Jeff

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Nice work Jeff!!

I found it interesting that you apply the poly first then stain....
Is that so you will have a sealer on the grain first?
The reason I ask is alot of my projects get 3 coats of Poly before I cut then stain and then sand and a couple more coats.....
I use the Poly to prevent the stain from soaking into the grain.
Does a single coat still allow the stain to set in?

Chuck

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I've been using water based poly with very good results. It dries very quickly and has almost no odor.

Jeffery71

Post by Jeffery71 »

Chuck,
Yeah I put the 1 coat of poly on first to try to keep the gel stain from soaking in to much. So far it seems to work ok. I just started using the gel stains so I am still experimenting with them. I want to try using laquer instead of poly. I've always liked laquer better. drys much faster.
I'm just not sure how compatible the gel stain and clear laquer are. I've always used reqular stain with laquer on top so seems like that will be ok. Just not sure if sealing it with laquer and then gelstain followed by more laquer on top will work ok. I will have to experiment.

Jeff

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

I dont know Jeff, The way you did it on that piece looks dam good to me, i wouldnt play with too much, Like the old saying goeswhy fix whats not broken. Graham

djmcnutt
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Looks great

Post by djmcnutt »

Jeff,

What a great piece!
David

http://www.wooden-craft-design.com

Wooden Craft & Design
Mercer, WI USA

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

Hey jeff I ment to ask you, how long did that take to carve and what bits did you use? thanks. Graham

Jeffery71

Post by Jeffery71 »

Graham,

I forgot to check on the roughing tool path. I think it was about 90 minutes though. That was using a 1/4" endmill and going about 170 ipm
I left about .02 for the finish tool path.

The finish toolpath took 7 hours. I used a 1/8" ball mill and going about 170 ipm. I really hope the next version of Cut3d has pencil tracing maching!

The pine carves very easy ofcourse. But does leave some fuzzies to clean up I use a sandoflex sander to clean it up.

Jeff

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

Wow 170 ipm, you jets for steppers or somthing lol. 8.5 hrs hey, hmmmm that would take me well about 4 days to do hahaha .graham