First Cut in 3D

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
VICE Compliancing
Model of CNC Machine: DIY Rack & Pinion Router

First Cut in 3D

Post by VICE Compliancing »

Hi All,

This is my first post and really my first cut with Cut3D (besides the demo tutorials). This software is great and does mostly what I need it to do. The one reason that sold the software to me was the axis orientation function particularly the mirror function. There was much deliberation over the multitude of 3d cam programs out there in this price range but Cut3D came out ahead when adding the pros and cons. There is one function that I would really like added ( or maybe a plugin ), that would do pencil line for some of the finer details. This cut took 20hrs ( rough and finish ) with a 1/2 inch hss twist drill 300mm long that I ball nosed on the bench grinder. Finding tooling that falls into our budget has been difficult to say the least. It was cut in SL grade EPS foam. It will be sealed, filled and hand finished for a mold to be taken, and then unfortunately thrown away. I think I will keep this first one though.
Anyway just thought I would do a post to say Gday and thank the vectric forum users for all their help while I have been developing this CNC and learning the software. Most of the time you don't need to do a post of the problem you are experiencing if you can use the search bar on almost any forum. It's probably happened to somebody before you.
Regards,
Nick
Attachments
ViperCluster (1).JPG
ViperCluster (2).JPG
ViperCluster (3).JPG
ViperCluster (4).JPG

armbrusterco
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Roland MDX-40A

Re: First Cut in 3D

Post by armbrusterco »

Looks great, Nick. Congratulations.
Bob
Bob Armbruster
www.ArmbrusterCo.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Cut3D doesn't support plugins (gadgets). The ability to machine some parts of the job with finer tools is part of Aspire and is called rest machining.

Nice looking part. I take it it's an instrument panel of some sort for a car?

sailfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by sailfl »

Nick,

What is the mold material made of?

VICE Compliancing

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I will have more to show as the project continues. I was so happy with what the software could do that I had to show and tell.

Adrian,
That's ashame that Cut3D does not support gadgets like Vcarve does as it would be a great function to have. Maybe its something that Vectric could think about adding in a future update.
This is an instrument cover bezel for a 2010 dodge viper that to become registered in Aus requires a steering conversion to righthand drive. We had a lot of trouble getting somebody to do this for us at the right price. So why not do it myself, sounds easy right and my time is cheap. HAHA.

Sailfl,
This is a one use buck to take a mould off of. It was cut from Expanded Polystyrene ( EPS ) in Grade SL.

Regards,
Nick

jxuereb
Model of CNC Machine: Zund G3

Post by jxuereb »

Did you say Dodge Viper? My dream car :)

You can get a product called Styro spray to seal the EPS foam. Speedliner in Australia sell it: http://www.speedlineraustralia.com.au/i ... spray.html

VICE Compliancing

Hi jxuereb,yeah it's a great fun car. Thanks for the link, I have checked these guys out now and ordered some StyroSpray.

turbocvette
Model of CNC Machine: 5x9 diy cnc router

Post by turbocvette »

This is just plain cool! Did you have to sit and take measurments etc? or was there a faster way to reverse engineer it?

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

Hi Nick, and welcome and G'Day!

Cut3D and Cut2d, are mainly designed for toolpathing objects that are designed in another program (CAD). Just out of curiosity, what did you design it in? Looks great, by the way. If you add V-Carve Pro to you arsenal, you can do a lot more. If you go all the way to Aspire, you can do it all.

20 hours seems a long time - what were your feeds/speeds? Also, with foam, you may be able to skip the roughing pass...
Ron Sloan