More Animal Plaques

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

More Animal Plaques

Post by tmerrill »

Hope I’m not boring you, but find myself becoming addicted to making these plaques. Tony, Brian and James B - you guys might be guilty to contributing to the delinquency of a SENIOR!

Seriously, after finishing the first round of plaques (http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1742&start=0) and seeing how the people who got them responded, I just had to try more ideas. As before, all the images are from Vector Art 3D’s Animal Collection 1, and all design work was done with VCarve Pro and Cut3D. All were roughed out with a 5/16” end mill and finished with a 1/8” round nose at 8% stepover. The cherry needed minimal hand sanding and preparation, the maple required more.

Here are the latest four:

For the bass, I must first credit Paul_n for the inspiration (http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1726). I didn’t have a nice redwood burl handy but had been sitting on this rustic piece of cherry with knots, holes and a dark central grain pattern. Also used the texturing feature of VCP to give the appearance of hand carving around the image. Because of the dark grain, it was finished with shellac only.

For the otters, I first glued walnut veneer onto a cherry board and then machined through the walnut to get the contrast of the woods. I anticipated some tearout near the edge of the veneer, but ended up with none. The finish is shellac and glaze similar to the previous post. I did get some blotching with the cherry which happens rarely with shellac, but still happens.

The bass scene was cut in maple and finished with shellac and glaze. Tried a slightly different texture pattern.

The grizzly is in cherry and again finished with shellac and glaze. I’m not crazy about the shape of the plaque – it looked better in preview mode. Modified the texture pattern to give a slightly different appearance than the previous two.

I like the looks of both the veneered and textured plaques. The veneer looks more formal and would fit in most anywhere, while the hand carved looks rustic.

Thanks for letting me share.

Tim
Attachments
Bass in cherry
Bass in cherry
Otters in walnut veneered cherry, Bass scene in maple
Otters in walnut veneered cherry, Bass scene in maple
Grizzly in cherry
Grizzly in cherry

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Absolutely fantastic! :) What kind of speeds are you running your router at?

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Tim,

Your work just gets better and better - stunning results!

Great to see all the products working together so well and thanks
for posting the pictures.

Tony

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

I'm using an older ShopBot PRT with Milwaukee router. The texturing cuts used a 1" round nose at 2.5 ips, the roughing and finish passes were both at 2.0 ips. With ramp speeds and such, I don't think the router achieves these speeds too often. The roughing pass is set for 0.25" cutting depth.

As a tip, I now use 5/16" bits with 1/2" shank instead of 1/4" bits with 1/4" shank whenever possible. They can be pushed more than a 1/4" bit can, and I haven't broken one yet. Only drawback is cost - you can probably purchase four 1/4" bits for the price of one 5/16". If you don't get the 5/16" with 1/2" shank, they you have to mess with collet inserts, which I personally don't want to do.

Tim

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Nice work Tim! :o

I got to get a hang on this sort of finish... :roll:

Paul_n
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PR96

Post by Paul_n »

Very nice work, Tim.... and thanks for the little 'plug' on the bass !!

Really like the texture affects !!

Paul N

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Excellent work Tim, makes me want the Animal collection.....well maybe the symbols collection....well maybe the ....

I better stay away from the vector 3d site for awhile..... :shock: :D

Chuck

Paul_n
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PR96

Post by Paul_n »

Tim..... Here is my first attempt at using your finishing method.

I was unable to find the glaze, but did have some MinWax water-base wood stain.
After the several coats of Shellac, I brushed on the stain, letting it dry to a tack,
when with a damp cloth, buffed the surface.

Thanks for sharing your process, and still want to try the glaze.

The relief is cut in -very- hard maple, with a 1/8" bit, and a 4% stepover.
It is about 7x9".

Paul N
Attachments
Grouse.jpg

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Paul,

It looks great! Soon you'll be addicted like me.

I am not sure how a glaze differs from a wood stain. The General Finishes product I use has the consistency of a gel stain (perhaps a bit thinner) and I tried it on bare wood and it does stain. I suspect it sticks to a smooth surface better, giving you more control over the color.

Keep them coming.

Tim

PS I assume you got my response to your personal message. I am not comfortable with that system yet.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Tim, very nice work - as always - thanks a lot for sharing and also making our models look so nice... Regards, James

rickw

Post by rickw »

James ! I been trying to call you all day today... I emailed. i called many times and i left 2 messages. I had called you last week to order and talk to you. But got the recording about not being back til wed. 13th. Please call me in the morning. If someone knows how to get ahold of him by other means please do so. My luck, he wont see this for several days. Sorry tim, didnt mean to hijack your thread. I needed to get ahold of him last week. rick woodward 1-765-385-2746

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Rick, I will be calling you this morning - hopefully you got my email. I am in the UK at the moment... Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, normally best bet is to start with email when trying to get hold of me as I can normally pick that up wherever I am, Thanks, James

rickw

Post by rickw »

Well Sir ! I tried your shellac and water base paint system. Well, i used acrylic paint instead of the gel stain. I went back to my polyurethane and 1 shot technique. But i still want to go water based and i know i will get better results next time. I remembered and additive i have. I am sure it will get me the results i want. Plus i have some more ideas i want to try out with water based. If this pic will upload its JamesB's oak leaves model. Which i really like, and the leaping Bass from his site. The bass is right off the cnc, no finish. Thanks again Tim. I will return when i get time to do some more experimentatiational type researchmessupcussin sessions.. :idea: :arrow: :roll: :oops: :cry: :shock: :D
Attachments
Bass  detail.jpg
JamesB oak leaves.jpg

holland1vt

creating the images

Post by holland1vt »

Love your carvings.
I would like to know how you create the images to machine.

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

The images are bought from VectorArt3D ready to machine with their free software, or to incorporate with the Vectric software.

http://www.vectorart3d.com/

They're really great value and a huge selection. :)