First Sign using Cut3D

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
js11110
Vectric Wizard

First Sign using Cut3D

Post by js11110 »

Here is a quick sign I made using Cut3d and VCP. I got this idea from a earlier post here months ago and finally decided to do it. Wood is just regular poplar that I bought a Home Depot. Used a 1/8 ball to rough and finish. Took about 3 hours as my machine isn't that fast.

Jason
Attachments
house_sign_sm.jpg
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Hey that came out nice. Did you have to do a lot of sanding to finish it?
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Naw, about 1/2 hour maybe. I did a 10% step over so it came out relatively smooth. Mostly sanded to knock off the scallops left from the stepover of the ball arount the bottom of the 3d parts. I did it out on my porch watching American Idol one night.

Jason

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I'm not sure what's stranger, that you have a TV on your porch or that you where watching American Idol???

Either way the sign looks good. I'm surprised poplar came out that nice. I always figured that was too soft to 3d carve in and get good edges, but your sign proves me wrong.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

dighsx wrote:I'm not sure what's stranger, that you have a TV on your porch or that you where watching American Idol???

Either way the sign looks good. I'm surprised poplar came out that nice. I always figured that was too soft to 3d carve in and get good edges, but your sign proves me wrong.
Well, down here they call them lanai's, but I'm from New England, so I call it a porch. Its 14 feet wide, 50 feet long and opens up to my pool. Has a TV, bar and a jacuzzi. I spend alot of time out there as I won't smoke in my house. Thanks for the complement on the sign! What I like about poplar is that it sands easy beacause it is a softer wood, and it comes from the store REAL flat. Oak always seems to be cupped or bowed some, and I have to spend time getting it flat before working with it. Give poplar a try sometime, you'll like it I'm sure.

Jason

AngelicDiablo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot BT48 Standard

Post by AngelicDiablo »

A time saving tip I have discovered it to get yourself a sanding mop. Some 3-d carvings will leave lines depending on your stepover or v-carving sometimes leave fuzzies. A trip through the sanding mop and you'll get a nice clean finish and fuzzy free!! And if you order now, I'll throw in a set of "Ginzu" knives! :lol: Seriously, it cuts down on sanding which is one of the things I hate doing. -AD :twisted:
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car! :-)

zoltan
Vectric Apprentice

How you made it

Post by zoltan »

Jason,

Could you, please, explain me how you made this sign? Which software you used to make the design?

Thank you.

Zoltan

DavidCousins
Vectric Wizard

Post by DavidCousins »

Great sign. I like the fonts, the color, the 3d. Are you selling your house? I'm sure there'd be a few takers. :D
What fonts did you use? So many to choose between.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Very nice sign. The Vectric team could use that in their advertising for the software.

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Thanks for all the kind words! Sorry it took me awhile to get back, but I just got back from vacation yesterday.

Zoltan- I used Cut3D for the toolpaths on the scrolls on top and bottom, then did the rest of the design layout and Vcarving using VCP.

DavidCousins- the font is call "Black Chancery" its my wifes favorite and it has that elegant feel I was looking for

Thanks again!

Jason