Keystone for arched casing

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
beacon14

Keystone for arched casing

Post by beacon14 »

I got myself in a bit of a bind and got out of it using Cut 3D and a friendly assist from Brady. I bought a vector design from the Vector Art 3D site but wanted to combine it with a border I designed in DesignCad. Brady was nice enough to marry the two models together for me to toolpath using Cut 3D.

This was my first project in Cut 3D and it was very easy to use. The results were exactly like the preview. Even the estimated machinig time was reasonably close. Thanks Vectric!
Attachments
blank.JPG
sanded.JPG

lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: other software 50-50 router, Mach3, Epilog 60W

Post by lockeyone »

Cool. Now tell me about the clamps in the first picture. Never seem them before and looks like I might want to give them a try. Nice work.

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

You can tell we're a bunch of cnc nerds. First thing I thought when I saw the picture was "man those clamps look cool" So you gotta give us the lowdown on them.

Oh and the carving came out nice.. hehehe no it really does look good.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

beacon14

Post by beacon14 »

OK, OK, [Here]is where it all began. Scroll down for more pictures. We're still looking into the pricing etc. so stay tuned...

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Oh man, I got really excited looking at those clamps too, but then I see your selling them...:( Does this mean I'm not allowed to make some myself?
I can't do the aluminium bit, but I can substitute it with something else for myself and a DIY type thing. It looks like a good idea, at least worth a try....

beacon14

Post by beacon14 »

Whoa there don't accuse me of going all commercial here. I'm only thinking of selling them because several people have asked about it. It would be easier for me if you did make your own. One obvious solution is to just buy the hubs and make your own handles. You can get by with a cheap bushing a fender washer and a screw with a plywood handle - but once you try the hub you won't go back.

dannyu

Post by dannyu »

I would like to make arched casing for several windows, have you tried that
Thanks
Dan

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

If you are looking for a commercial solution. Grizzly has these cam clamps available from shop fox.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Shop-Fo ... lamp/H5740

I should mention that these have let loose on me in the middle of a cut before. I have stopped using a cam method because of that and started working on hold downs.

I build jigs for a lot of my products now.

These are also interesting, but I haven't tried them yet.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hold-Do ... rack/H0879

Tim
:wink:

p.s. by the way, Very nice carving!

knighttoolworks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shobot 48x96

Post by knighttoolworks »

here is my version. it is a pegboard with cheap soft threaded inserts and simple cams in different sizes. mainly so I can find a good fit. I used to have dowels and holes but the dowels would wear too fast. Plus they let the cams lift up. I have all the vcarve plans for this if anyone is interested.

DavidCousins
Vectric Wizard

Post by DavidCousins »

Mr. Knight,
I'd love to have your vcarve plans. Thanks for the offering. BTW, What keeps the material from rising off the bed? Is is friction on the cams?
Dave

B Griffith
Vectric Apprentice

Clamps

Post by B Griffith »

I am also interested in your vcarve plans. Have you thought of leaving a small lip at the top edge that would act as a holddown also?
Bruce

B Griffith
Vectric Apprentice

Keystone

Post by B Griffith »

Beacon,
I really like the keystone, I want to try the 3d cut but I'm not sure about the 3d drawing. I have all the vcarve programs but not a modeling program. What is the least I could get by with? Anyone?

knighttoolworks
Vectric Wizard

for the most part things stay flat. you may have to knock them down after you tighten the cam. getting the cams tight to the board really helps. I made some hold downs but I found out the hard way you need to apply pressure to both sides of the board or the one against the fence will lift. so if you want to use that method you need some hold downs on the fence too.
if I can I just tack the item down with a air nailer. thats how I hold the fence pieces in place whole I drill the bolt holes.
be sure to test the hole size for the threaded inserts. I used the cheap zinc ones with a Allen head drive.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/cnc/pegboard.zip

knighttoolworks
Vectric Wizard

another fellow gave me another way to do these. he makes about a 2" peg that bolts down and the cam has the same size hole and fits over it. then he can screw them down anywhere. not sure if the peg has a lip to hold the cam down I just asked him.

Bruce Dorworth
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Keystone for arched casing

Post by Bruce Dorworth »

Mr. Knight if they are still available I would like to have a copy of the VCarve file for the clamps.

Bruce