It's only a matter of time..........

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
dman
Vectric Craftsman

It's only a matter of time..........

Post by dman »

I have been trying to teach myself Blender so I could make my own 3D models. So far I have struggled through OK. It's hard to work in the 3D world when I only had experience with working in 2D CAD files. I think the light bulb has started to flicker a bit. I really want to prove to the wife that a Cut3D purchase would be worth it as I am only running the trial at the present time. Being able to carve a true 3D image is just too cool. Anyway this is my first attempt although not finished of a fish.
Damian
Attachments
BlenderFish.jpg

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

You're on to something, keep at it!

Going with Blender first might not be the easiest way to get started... apart that Blender is free though... :roll: Blender is very versatile but the UI is not very intuitive at first. I personally keep Blender for rendering only so far; I play with it in my spare time.

How did you get to this fish shape so far; sub-D or from loft curves or else?

Check out some modeling software. It is NURBS based, it is a very friendly environment. It is still under BETA testing and you should (might) get a copy for free until it's official release... some modeling software beta is as stable as Vectric's VCP beta; which mean that when it come to finding bugs, it is pretty boring... :lol:

Silo is my #1 choice for sub-D. Here's one of my very first "serious" model with Silo (unfinished; no pelvic fins...).

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Very nice looking model Paco!
I got to this point on Blender by using the sphere mesh and adding a lattice as a parent to shape the general outline of the fish without fins. I then added the fins by adding in a mesh plane for each and extruding to the thickness I wanted. I used the subsuf modifier for the body of the fish to smooth the entire body.

I will have to check out some modeling software. I am really trying to learn this and thought Blender being free was a good place to start. I seems VERY powerful and maybe too far over my head for what I want to do. I do like the ability to have a picture in the background to trace or to ref while modeling. It seems to help out. I'll keep plugging away at it. This CNC stuff is never ending. Everytime I turn around there is something else I want to make or do or learn. In the end, I think it will be very rewarding.
Damian

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Silo

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

I downloaded Blender ages ago and its just SO far above my head that I haven't looked at it again. I'm intending to use Silo3D with Cut3D. You should check it out.