Converting DWG's

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
wcarrothers
Vectric Wizard

Converting DWG's

Post by wcarrothers »

I have access to autocad 2005 and guessing it should be able to take the dwg's like are found on
http://www.dncbychina.com/default.asp
and give them skin or output in STL type files that 3dcut could use..

Anyone able to give the steps to do something like that? I've opened the DWG's but don't really see an easy way to spit the file back out at an STL or what ever type I might need.

Thanks.

b.

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

This works in Autocad 2004

Load the DWG file

Select export then the file path/name

File type 3ds, stl or what ever floats your boat.

Click ok

Select all the vectors.

Then press enter to complete the export.

Regards
Bart

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Peter Stenabaugh »

You can export any 3D file from any version of autocad, but if you use the .stl file output, you will be able to insert that .stl file into most any other cad package as well, not just C3D. If you use 3DS file format you will be more limited.

Bottom line, stick with the standard stuff, it works better.

Pete

Markm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Markm »

Hi guys
I was trying the trial version of autocad and when I tried to export a stl file it tells me i have so solids. How do I convert the drawing like the ones above to solids for exports. The dxf saved work for cut3d but I would like to be able to modify the drawing in different programs before cutting

Mark M

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Peter Stenabaugh »

Mark, in order to save a file as a .stl file, the project must be created as an autocad solid object. This means that you need to construct it using the 'solids' and 'solids editing' toolbars.

Note that ALL construction of solids must be accomplised using a closed polyline as the basic sketch item, then you can extrude it to what ever Z height you need. To make cuts in the solid you need to create other solid geometry and 'subtract' the new geometry from the original. The order of doing things can be important, as well as the order of issuing commands.

You would be well advised to pick up a book like Mastering Autocad or Inside Autocad, that can give you some intruction on using solids. You can also go through all the Autocad tutorials as well. It isnt hard, there is just a fair bit of information to know, as when I teach this topic at the local college, it is a 36 hour program, just to get through the commands and how to use them, then there is more after that when it comes to producing drawings etc.

You will no longer be working with dxf files, so you can eliminate that monkey if you are using solids.

Pete

wcarrothers
Vectric Wizard

Post by wcarrothers »

actually I've found that in Progcad LT if you save the file as an autocad2004ascii.DXF file 3dcut brings it in just fine. Seems easier and something I can do with what software I have.

b.

chipmeister

Post by chipmeister »

Since this thread is about dxf settings, here is another working example.
I have been having good luck using dxf files created in 3ds Max, here is what I have used successfully:

Resize/Scale model to exact size needed
Convert object to mesh, then click Export Selected.
Set it DXF and Export version: AutoCAD 2004 DXF

As long as the model looks solid in 3dsmax it has worked correctly in Cut3d.

-chipmeister

Markm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Markm »

Hello Peter,
What I was wondering was converting a dwg (http://www.dncbychina.com/default.asp) into an stl file. When I try with 2007 it tells me that I do not have a solid. Am I missing a step?

Mark M

C.Michael
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by C.Michael »

Markm...yes you are missing a step...I have acad 2000 so it might be a little different...But to export a stl file,you must select the item on the screen that you want to export..if you don't select the item,acad will save it as an stl file but it saves no items...When I do it,I go to File...export..then a window pops up and you select the stl file type and the destination of the file..then after that acad (look at the command line)asks what item to save...click on it and then hit enter..

that should be it...Michael