Questions about tool bit database

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
chipmeister

Questions about tool bit database

Post by chipmeister »

Cut3d looks very cool.
I just finished a test run of the leaf and had some real nice results. The process very easy to run through, and it did some nice pocketing and outlining. The software worked good with my flashcut controller, and produced a fairly efficient toolpath. Some of the other posts pointed out how to segment the part, and specify cutting tool length, works good.

Looks irresistable, there is only 1 issue that make me hesitate. Some tool types are disabled.

Will the program enable the option to add v bits and engrave bits soon?
The tool databases from photovcarve and cut3d are the same format, and I really liked the ability in PhotoVcarve to add the tools and specify the cutting face angle and flat diameter. Not being able to use that whole range of finishing tools is suprising since just about everything else is included.

I had to give it a try, and the tool type is disabled. :?

I would like buy both Cut3d and Photocarve and use the same bit database. Will Cut3d enable the v bit and engraving tool types anytime soon?

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

You can add the tools to the database...the same tool list that is used in the other Vectric software, but vbits and engraving tools are not a tool normally used in 3d work.
End mills and ball nose are your only choices.
There are times when a different bit, other then what the software thinks is there, can be mounted and the results are interesting...but, for 3d stuff....well..... :shock:

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Chipmeister,

As Chuck says above V-Bit tools are not suitable for 3D machining so we don't include support for them, the same applies to flat bottomed engraving bits. We do plan to add support for conical tools or tapered ball noses as these are commonly used for 3D machining.

Brian

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

V-Bit tools are not suitable for 3D machining
Brian,

Isn't a tapered ball nose just a variation of V-bit? <wry smile>, i.e once you have the logic in to handle a tapered ball nose couldn't you apply that logic to a 1/4" 60 degree v-bit?

In theory wouldn't a v-bit allow additional fine detail to be added to a 3D carving?

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Randall,

3D machining with a pointed V-Bit is going to give very poor results indeed, and we are trying to help ensure that people can get excellent results from their machines as quickly as possible. We are not keen on adding options which will be of little practical use but could confuse new users who would think that if a particular tool type is offered it must be suitable for the type of machining performed by Cut3D.
In theory wouldn't a v-bit allow additional fine detail to be added to a 3D carving?
You would need a miniscule stepover to get the fine detail, otherwise your finished surface is going to consist of a lot of fine grooves. If people actually are machining 3D models with pointed V-Bit tools and getting good results we would certainly consider adding them. I have to say that in over 15 years experience of writing software for people machining 3D models, I've never come across anyone uisng V-Bits for 3D machining in a production environment.

Cheers

Brian

chipmeister

Post by chipmeister »

BrianM wrote:Hi Chipmeister,
As Chuck says above V-Bit tools are not suitable for 3D machining so we don't include support for them, the same applies to flat bottomed engraving bits. We do plan to add support for conical tools or tapered ball noses as these are commonly used for 3D machining.
Brian
Awesome! Thats great news. A finishing pass with a tapered ball nose bit would add a lot of detail. And yes, I understand the V bit is not for 3d machining, but the engrave bit with a flat and the tapered ball would be extermely useful.
Rcnewcomb wrote: Isn't a tapered ball nose just a variation of V-bit? <wry smile>, i.e once you have the logic in to handle a tapered ball nose couldn't you apply that logic to a 1/4" 60 degree v-bit?

Exactly what I was thinking, since the logic is there I would like to use it for finishing passes. A roughing pass, then a ball finishing pass, then create another finishing pass with a 1/8th engrave bit or tapered ball to bring out the small details.

Do you know the timeframe for enabling the conical/tapered tools?

Thanks,
8) -chipmeister