changing 3d artwork

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Glen Peterson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot

changing 3d artwork

Post by Glen Peterson »

Hi Everyone. I have to say I love the vectric software and creating new designs everyday. I am starting to do more 3d stuff and was wondering if it is possible to change the size of a graphic in cut 3d. Everytime I change the x or y it changes the other dimension to keep to scale. Also can you remove parts of a graphic or are they grouped together. If I need to upgrade to different software to do this then I will just stick to what I am doing now, doesn't justify large investment in more software.
Thanks in advance for any help and keep up the great products vectric.

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Just uncheck the "lock XYZ ratio" box right above where you change the x y z values

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

Glen Peterson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot

Post by Glen Peterson »

I tried that and it still changes the other value. If you alter "x" it changes "y". I want to stretch a couple of designs to fit a project.

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

I just unchecked the "lock xyz ratio" button. Then changed "X" The "Y" stayed the same and the "X" changed. Just like it was supposed to.

Can you post the file?
Maybe we can try it for you...... :?

Tim
:D

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

I received the file you are working with via e-mail. The problem lies in how Cut3D works with VA3D Machinist Model's. For some reason these models retain their XY aspect ratio.

I have never encountered this issue using stl files. Maybe this should be posted in the "Vector Art 3D - General" Topic for James to comment on... :?

Sorry I couldn't help more.
Tim
:)

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

As Tim said at the moment VA3D Machinist files have their X and Y locked together so if you change one it changes the other. The STL models do not have this problem (but do not have a built in border either!) If you have bought models from Vector Art 3D we will provide the other file formats (STL or RLF) at no charge - just email me to let me know you want them added to your account. All formats come on the collection.

In future I think we should have a version of Cut3D which will allow the part to be scaled disproportionately and perhaps have this in Machinist too for now though its just a limitation and will just have to wait for the next release (when this will be I do not know).

Just so no-one blames the guys at Vectric for this behaviour, it was my choice originally to have the software behave this way with our models. This was to stop someone making a mess of a design inadvertantly however we realise now that it is desirable in some cases to have this ability so... perhaps one day.

Thanks,
James