Vectric laser

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
pro70z28
Vectric Craftsman

Vectric laser

Post by pro70z28 »

Has anyone tried running a Vectric 3d file on a laser engraver? Just wondering if a laser engraver (specifically a BossLaser running LaserWorks V8), would recognize and run an Aspire file? I've also wondered if I could run a 3d file on the ShopBot, then register it in the laser engraver to paint details on the peice? I haven't had the time to try this, yet, but I can see where it might make an interesting project.

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Re: Vectric laser

Post by nicksilva »

I doubt it will recognize it directly. Lasers are generally a 2d device which means the height does not change, only the x/y coordinates. and they generally either need a raster file (bitmap) or a vector file.
Most 3d (2.5 actually) laser art is done using a 16 bit grey scale art. With multiple colors to choose from, a different power level is applied to each
color/pixel which gives the impression of depth. Aspire doesn't give that option. I've done a lot of 2.5D on my laser using the 16 bit grey scale files created in Aspire, but usually import it into Corel Draw to cut since that is where the laser driver is connected to and can assign colors/power. It's never going to be as sharp as what the CNC produces, but for simple stuff it works ok.
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Post by Pete Cyr »

Kinda - I print a picture of my model in Aspire to adobe (instead of a printer) without a background. see attached.
Then I increase resolution to 600dpi and use a script in Photoshop (Goldmethod) to mod the file into a format that is laserable.

I have attached the files - I had to reduce the resolution of the non laseable pic to be able to upload due to file size.
the laser File for Neptune is 4" tall, Iwo is 3" tall.
If you choose to try laser engraving them you need to make them the same size and My power and speed were 17W at 400mm/sec.
power and speed are scalable as a ratio (ie 34W at 800mm/sec)
Attachments
Neptune-250.png
Neptune laser.png
iwo jima model laser.png

pro70z28
Vectric Craftsman

Post by pro70z28 »

Thanks for the relies Nick & Pete. I'll have to make time to do some experimenting.