3D preview

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
good1
Model of CNC Machine: Shark black Diamond

3D preview

Post by good1 »

I am useing a 3D gorilla clipart from vectric for a 6x7 box top. After previewing cutting the rough cut with a .25 end mill. I set my finish cut at .04 below the survace for the finish cut. When I preview the finish toolpath it is not smoth like the model. Will it cut like the preview or will it carve smooth like the model. I am useing a .125 ballnose bit with a 7% stepover. I really do not want to start cutting, it is over a 2hour carve time. Thanks for any info... Gene

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: 3D preview

Post by mtylerfl »

good1 wrote:I am useing a 3D gorilla clipart from vectric for a 6x7 box top. After previewing cutting the rough cut with a .25 end mill. I set my finish cut at .04 below the survace for the finish cut. When I preview the finish toolpath it is not smoth like the model. Will it cut like the preview or will it carve smooth like the model. I am useing a .125 ballnose bit with a 7% stepover. I really do not want to start cutting, it is over a 2hour carve time. Thanks for any info... Gene
Hi Gene

Make sure your toolpath database specs matches the bits you have chosen for your roughing and finishing toolpaths. Also, check your material setup. I assume when you say "I set my finish cut at .04 below the survace for the finish cut" that you are setting that as a machining allowance in your Roughing toolpath, yes?

If your toolpath preview shows a bad result, then that's what you'll get if you run your project as-is.

Can you post some screenshots of your settings so we can help you troubleshoot? Be nice to see your Material settings, the roughing settings and your finish settings, plus your bit settings for both the EM and the BN.
Last edited by mtylerfl on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

It should look like the preview. Your settings look good, can you post the file?

Bob

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Bob Reda wrote:It should look like the preview. Your settings look good, can you post the file?

Bob
I don't think he can nor should because of the purchased Gorilla model.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

good1

Post by good1 »

I would need some info on how to send toolpath and other info . I am not too computer savy. thanks

good1

Post by good1 »

The gorilla model came with vcarve 8.5

good1

Post by good1 »

That is what I thought . I used a .25 end mill with a 40% stepover and a ballnose .125 with a 7% stepover, raster 0.0

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Which software are you using? You've posted in the Cut3D section but you mention VCarve.

Your settings should produce good results in either program though.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

good1 wrote:The gorilla model came with vcarve 8.5
Excellent. You're in the clear to submit your file for troubleshooting then.

It is probably too large to upload here on the forum. So, if you want someone to look at your file, you can upload it to a free service like DropBox then post the download link here.

Your settings do sound fine. Are you still getting a poor preview on screen? If so, have you tried setting your toolpath preview quality to a higher quality? Perhaps you are simply viewing a low-resolution preview.

If that's not it, perhaps your actual job resolution is set too low.

These are the kinds of things we can look at if able to view your actual file, then make recommendations from there.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

good1

Post by good1 »

I did the same toolpaths on two other computers one is running win 7 and is 10 years old. The other one is running win 10 and is three years old, the preview came out great on both computers. The computer that has a bad preview is running win 10 and is only two years old. What is going on??? Thanks Gene

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

You can use the Snipping Tool in Windows 10 to capture your screen and show us what you are describing.
Attachments
Snipping.png
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Are the preview settings identical on each computer though? Check the Preview Simulation Quality on the Toolpaths menu.