Skimming surface

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Alex
Model of CNC Machine: AscentPro STC 2513

Skimming surface

Post by Alex »

Hi, Still fumbling through the basics of using cut 3D and having a problem with preparing a file. When I load a stl file created in other software the tool path wants to skim over the entire surface of the material and I end up with really long cutting times. I have made the model 6mm thick and set the material at 6mm so I assume the tool path should only follow the 'furrows' rather than dress the whole surface. I am brand new to CNC so this is a very steep learning curve for me and I hope you can decipher my layman terminology.
Thanks,
Alex

Kayvon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

Re: Skimming surface

Post by Kayvon »

For its finishing path, Cut3D will always raster across the entire surface. It's a fine setting when you're cutting an object that's entirely 3D carved, like a pinewood derby car. It's less optimal for cutting parts like connectors. For the latter case, you're better off with VCarve or Aspire.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

In the help file ( Help > Help Contents ) read up on Material Size and Margins.

Alex

Post by Alex »

Thanks for the response.
Wow, as simple as that! I have been driving myself to distraction trying to figure that one out. Hypothetically, could you do a high quality roughing path and forget about the finishing path altogether?

Kayvon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

Post by Kayvon »

Many people do it the other way around: skip the roughing path and go straight to the finishing path. The risk is that your bit could try to bite more than it can chew, possibly breaking the bit. If you can, start milling from a shallow point in your piece to alleviate the problem.

Alex

Post by Alex »

Thanks, I may have to look at Aspire as a realistic option.