Modeling in VCarve Pro 8.5

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Rburke
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1

Modeling in VCarve Pro 8.5

Post by Rburke »

I would like to create some hollow Easter Eggs on my Stinger 1 but as far as I can tell V Carve Pro does not support the tools in the modeling feature to create the necessary tool paths. Is this correct and if so are there any work arounds? Or is it time to upgrade to Aspire?

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Re: Modeling in VCarve Pro 8.5

Post by Bob Reda »

You can't do 3 d modeling in vcarve, you can import a 3d model though.

Bob

Rburke
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1

Post by Rburke »

Thanks Bob, that's what I thought. So far I have been only running 2D, 2.5D and some engraving. Just now decided to start learning 3D. Do you have Aspire and if so, what do you think about it?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There are ways of doing the toolpathing in VCarve but you need an egg shape first as either an STL or V3M file.

If you're planning on doing more stuff like this then Aspire is well worth the investment.

Trock

Post by Trock »

Hi, I have Aspire and love it. It was one of those big expenses for me because it's just a hobby.

But, if you need to make something in 3D, get Blender. Its free and I have done a lot of 3D models, and it exports a beautiful stl file ready to cut.
Its easy to learn basic modeling, but still a learning curve.

The nice thing about Aspire is the ability to add my own 3D files mixed with some of the included Vectric clip art. :D
Check out blender.org. Lots of 3D resources available for this. Never too many tools when you want to play.

Have fun with it.
Terry

Kayvon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

Post by Kayvon »

Trock wrote:The nice thing about Aspire is the ability to add my own 3D files mixed with some of the included Vectric clip art. :D
VCarve now allows this as well, starting with version 8 or 8.5. It still lacks several of the 3D creation features that Aspire has, but it allows the addition of 3D clip art and stl files from Blender.

Since the feature was added, I hardly touch Cut3d.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Kayvon wrote:
Trock wrote:The nice thing about Aspire is the ability to add my own 3D files mixed with some of the included Vectric clip art. :D
VCarve now allows this as well, starting with version 8 or 8.5. It still lacks several of the 3D creation features that Aspire has, but it allows the addition of 3D clip art and stl files from Blender.

Since the feature was added, I hardly touch Cut3d.
I may be wrong but I think VCP only allows importing of 1 stl per session. Not a huge deal though if you are prepared before importing the stl.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli