Zero_Plane_Blight

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
JHSheley
Model of CNC Machine: IMSERVICES

Zero_Plane_Blight

Post by JHSheley »

I have a problem with the “zero plane” in some *.stl images that I purchased.

I have 7 fractions (images/reliefs) of an original image/relief. For now I will name them A,B,C,D,E,F, and G.
Theoretically, I can execute each of the fractions in any order and the original relief is formed.

The following is the desired behavior:

When I run “A”. only material directly above the “A” image (z-axis) is removed .
When I run “B”. only material directly above the “B” image (z-axis) is removed .
When I run “G”. only material directly above the “G” image (z-axis) is removed .

After "G" has been executed, the original relief is visible in it's entirety.

In practice all of the images have the zero plane included. The effect of this zero plane is that the end mill will remove material from the portions of the block that I want dedicated to the remaining fractions. So if I execute “A”, then A is made, but all of the material above the zero plane is removed and is no material remains for fractions B,C,D,E,F, and G. (GRRRR!)

I am using CUT3D to visualize the excision process. I do not have Aspire or ARTCAM.

If you think that you can help me, then please contact me. I loaded a representative file "S2_Stamin.v3d". I have a *.stl version of "S2_Stamin.v3d" that the forum software does not allow me to post(?).
Attachments
S2_Stamin.v3d
Representative relief fraction
(677.5 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Zero_Plane_Blight

Post by adze_cnc »

It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about until I substituted "sub-section of the full model" for "fraction".

In the '2. Material Size and Margins' panel, would it help to check "Symmetrical" and "Use Model Silhouette" to constrain the cut to the modelled area only?

You'd have to be careful that any roughing and finishing pass does not encroach into the area occupied by the other sub-sections.

Steven