Finsih cut - cutting surface plane

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
DougE
Model of CNC Machine: cnc Shark- -other

Finsih cut - cutting surface plane

Post by DougE »

Hi,..

Please see attached image.

I'm having trouble getting Cut3D to NOT cut the planar surface as shown in the image.

The planar surface is indeed planar/ It doesn't have any anomolies like a polygon sticking up higher or lower.

The second image shows if I bring in the model without the 'plane' that encompasses it. Cut3d wants to cut the negative space surrounding the model (not wanted)

Help... Suggestions ?

Thank you

DougE
Attachments
PlaneCut3d.jpg
PlaneCut3d 2.jpg

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Re: Finsih cut - cutting surface plane

Post by Ms Wolffie »

I have never actually used Cut 3d but looking at it, it doesn't like there are many choices, I can't see any way of setting the boundaries :(
Considering it is a 3d cut, I doubt it will be possible to do what you want, it is designed to cut away all external surface.
You might want to use another Vectric program that has more modelling choices.
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

Post by cac67 »

Bring it in without the plane. On page 2 Material Size and Margins, Section 2 Machining Margins around Model, you need to check Symmetrical, enter 0.001 in the box, and check Use Model Silhouette.

DougE
Model of CNC Machine: cnc Shark- -other

Post by DougE »

Thank you both for your replies.

I didn't think this was able to be done,.. but I kept fighting against it.

Yes,... I finally stumbled on the machining margins. Not sure why I had it set to zero (shrug)

Only problem I have currently is I can't run the -cut out- function.. If I do then it not only cuts out the internal section (want to cut), but it then cuts along the outside edge of the model as well. The workaround for this is to create the model with the plane and perform the -cut out- routine with it, loading this file after the rough and finish phases are completed. **with the plane the model does not have an outside perimeter, therefore only the inside area will be cut out (have not tried this but the theory seems correct.

Again,.. thank you very much for your time and input.

DougE