Finishing toolpath time

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
hanksor
Model of CNC Machine: Shark CNC

Finishing toolpath time

Post by hanksor »

I'm a newbee with using Cut3D and I'm wondering if a finishing toolpath time of 3 hr 27 min is something out of normal? I'm doing a 10" x 10" Dept of Navy seal on 3/4" Oak using an 1/8" ball nose bit. The Roughing toolpath is 45 min.
Any help/information will be appreciated....
I've cut it three times and it's still too short...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Finishing toolpath time

Post by Adrian »

3D cuts do take a long time. Several hours is not unusual on slower machines.

However the estimated time is just that. There is a scale factor that can be applied once you've cut a real world job so you can get more accurate estimates for that type of job.

Make sure that you've set the feed rates and rapid rate to the correct values for your machine as well.

hanksor
Model of CNC Machine: Shark CNC

Post by hanksor »

Adrian wrote:3D cuts do take a long time. Several hours is not unusual on slower machines.

However the estimated time is just that. There is a scale factor that can be applied once you've cut a real world job so you can get more accurate estimates for that type of job.

Make sure that you've set the feed rates and rapid rate to the correct values for your machine as well.

Is there something somewhere that has generalized information regarding feed rates and such?
I've cut it three times and it's still too short...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

People quite often post the feed rates they use on the jobs in the gallery. Just make sure to look for people with a similar type of machine to yours.

Feed rates on 3D jobs are as critical as they are on 2D jobs as the machine spends so much time going up and down in the Z that's what constrains how fast the overall motion is.

You can use chip load tables to get a starting point but 3D toolpaths are very different from 2D as I say so you could be a long way off from the optimum but it's a starting point.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

For your Shark, it depends which router you are using.
If it is a single speed router, then the rest of the set-up will depend on the actual speed of the router.
There is no way to change the speed of the tool in the software.
If you have an adjustable speed on your router the software will have to be set at the actual speed of the router and vice versa.
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6