Carrying Datums from Part to Part

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
steina81
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger

Carrying Datums from Part to Part

Post by steina81 »

I am constructing a rocking horse where there are a number of machined plaques being added to a 1 x12 backbone. The Z axis seems straight forward and Cut 3D seems to honor it well. However, I am having trouble carrying X and Y datums from part to part.

For example, my horse head is made of two mirrored plaques with a 1 x 12 in the center of the sandwich. I would like to use Cut 2D to tie into the X and Y datums and trim the perimeter of the part cutting the two plaques and center 1 x 12.

I have attempted to place the centerline of the material on either the edge of material center, or material center. Cut 3D appears to place the model in the material almost randomly.

My first guess would be that it would place it at the center of mass but then how would it place the rotation about the CG?

Allan Steinkuhl

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Re: Carrying Datums from Part to Part

Post by Ms Wolffie »

If you just want the silhouette of the horse head transferred, why not draw a vector around the model, then copy it to another layer?
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

steina81
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger

Re: Carrying Datums from Part to Part

Post by steina81 »

I was banging around yesterday evening and I discovered you can import a Cut 3D tool path into Cut 2D. This shows the centerline of the 3d part and would allow one to add X and Y datums.
It is not reciprocal. One cannot position the 3D model to the 2D image and export.

Allan Steinkuhl