How would you toolpath this?

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Winspear
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft S300

How would you toolpath this?

Post by Winspear »

Hi,
I am about to head into production of my product and have a successful toolpath. However it can be improved upon and sped up, I am very new to this.

I have attached a picture of the 3d model.

The main issue is the indentation into the angled upper surface. The Finishing toolpath in Cut3d just works across by its stepover, so I am not left with a perfect oval outline. I have minimized the stepover to make it ok but it's still not great and this hugely increases the time, because it uses the small stepover unnecessarily on the entire top surface.
The Roughing stage does seem to finish depth passes on everything I have made so far by doing a cleaning run around the perimeter to get rid of steps on edges. However this isn't the case for the Finishing stage and it doesn't do it on the roughing stage because of the angle.

This would be easy if the hole were a simple flat profile cut that could be made via Pocket in Cut2d. However as you can see, its base is angled, as are its walls.

Ideally I would be able to do the hole as a 2nd process. However I'm completely unsure how to go about profiling a hole, angled, in "mid air" on a job. I don't believe I can use cut 2Ds pocket function because of the angled base and walls. Nor do I believe I can use Cut3D as it's not a block polysurface to import, but rather something to cut out of one made by the previous toolpath...
I'd love to separate these two processes as the main big 3d triangle only needs to be a VERY rough finish! However the hole needs to be close to perfect..

Any advice is appreciated :)
Attachments
1.png

kyeakel
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger STV4800

Re: How would you toolpath this?

Post by kyeakel »

I would set this up as a 2 sided cut. 1st operation would be to pocket cut the hole. I'd then flip the board over and cut the wedge shape, then finally cut it out. Depending on size, I'd either nest as many as I could fit on the material, or I'd make a holding jig that registered the material so that the flip would be precise.

Kipp
CAMaster Stinger 1
Shopbot PRT 9648
STV4800
Aspire
Cut2d,Cut2dLaser

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

I would cut this entirely in 2D, and in two steps. Cut the profile first, then place on an angled jig and mill off the top and cut the pocket. You get FAR better results from profile and pocket cuts than from 3D cuts, and it would take you a couple of minutes per part rather than 20 or 30 minutes per part.

The angled jig could have a pocket that fit the part tightly, so it would be indexed properly. Vacuum would hold it firmly in place. You could cut the profile cuts on many parts at once, then place them on the tapered jig and perform the next operation, to save time.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

Since the angle of the slope does not appear to be tapered, the fastest method I would think would be to prep your stock first.

1. Make a jig to run your stock through a bandsaw to create the angle. Depending on the size of the stock, you may be able to get 2 blanks out of the same piece of material.

2. Place the blank on your CNC with the tapered side up and cut the outside shape.

3. Build a jig with a sloped pocket that is the exact outside shape of your model. This would bring the sloped surface parallel with your CNC table and will register each piece in the same spot.

4. Pocket the hole.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca