Partworks 3D Cutting a solidworks 3D model

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
JustidoBandito
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot D2418

Partworks 3D Cutting a solidworks 3D model

Post by JustidoBandito »

First and Foremost, Hello Everyone
This is my first post and I am new to cnc routing.
I am trying to cut a 3d model imported into partworks 3D. I have
cut the file multiple times. I am having an issue with a detail in the model. Can Partworks 3D
mill down a piece to exact thickness of model? After that I would like it to run the rough and finish path.

I understand that this can be done first in vcarve to mill surface then to partworks to run the file.
I may have discovered that my engineer designed the model with a needed change. We want to
get the cut for a template to mic the final design.

Thank You
JustidoBandito

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Partworks 3D Cutting a solidworks 3D model

Post by scottp55 »

Not POSITIVE I understand the question? Part works3D (Cut3d) will mill down the exact dimensions you have specified.
Use VCP to mill material down to Exact thickness you had specced in PW3D FIRST.
BEST way to dimension is to use VCP referenced to spoilboard to give you your PW3D dimension. i.e. 1" material surfaced referenced to spoilboard(bottom of material)(Pocket toolpath to say Z-.75" for PW3D .75" material .
THEN reference PW3d cut To top of material and you should be on the money.
Hope I got that right and explained it, long day.
s
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

JustidoBandito
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot D2418

Re: Partworks 3D Cutting a solidworks 3D model

Post by JustidoBandito »

hello Scottp55,

Yes you did understand the question. Thank you kindly for your response. I understand that
Partworks will cut exactly what i tell it. I have a model.763 thick on the Z. I used a .875 thick material
thinking it would cut the final cut deeper from the top. not the case. I believe its an issue in my solidworks model
designed by my engineer. I will get it done. Thank you again for your support. Enjoy.

Kindly JustidoBandito