Relief Carving

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Jeffrey D. Plowe
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD

Relief Carving

Post by Jeffrey D. Plowe »

I am very new to this and I have done a few small projects. I would like to add some 3d effects to some of my projects. I have seen some beautiful examples on this site but I have no idea what program I would use to get started. I have Cut 3D and V Carve Pro but I dont see how either of these can do what I need. I don't really want to do a complete 3D just a raised version of an animal or face.
I cannot afford to buy Aspire or any of the other 3D Cad programs. The programs I have looked at seem to draw things out leaving square corners. I know I have a lot to learn and I will invest the time but I would just like to get pointed in the right direction to start with.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Relief Carving

Post by scottp55 »

Start with tutorials and draw along with them. Single sided first.http://support.vectric.com/training-material/cut3d
And then maybe A07 herehttp://support.vectric.com/tut-vcp-getting-started to import it into VCarvePro.
I have Shopbots version of Cut3D, but you may have some "3D models" that are included in the folder like I did?
And then once you've played around a little and know which of the three "styles" you want to try, maybe start here for models like we did.http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/
Ask questions like you're doing, but doing a forum search, or Google "Vectric Forum----and then your question/interest" is best, as I'd say a lot of the questions have already been answered.
Frustrating at first, but VERY satisfying and worth it.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Jeffrey D. Plowe
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD

Post by Jeffrey D. Plowe »

Thanks for the post, I will go back and continue with the tutorials. My problem is that I really want to create from scratch, I know I have a lot to learn and being left handed I always seem to attack things from the wrong way. Thanks again

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

If you want to do from scratch you need aspire for that. Look at the tutorials for aspire. http://support.vectric.com/training-material-aspire

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

steina81
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger

Post by steina81 »

How do you cut a relief and not have the software cut the image loose from the parent material? I programmed a star to be cut into a surface. The software does the star and then does the perimeter cut as you would in making a raised plaque.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

In Aspire there are several ways to do that. You can raise the model in the material, presuming there is sufficient thickness. Or you can model a shape under the model...merged with the model that has a small thickness.

Angie

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

...forgot one...you can also have the software make the model shorter...

Angie

steina81
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger

Post by steina81 »

In my star, I have a circular background. I think I could set material thickness to the maximum cut of the object. I assume it will not allow you to set material thickness less than the maximum cut.

Roy Esslinger
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Post by Roy Esslinger »

Some of the finest training I have ever had is when I purchased my CNC machine from Legacy Woodworking Machines in Provo Utah. You can go on line to their website at LWMCNC.COM and look at their training schedule. Usually Monday evening and Thursday evenings are the best classes for newbies. They last an hour and are live webinar classes where you can ask questions and get good answers about anything CNC. This is a family owned company and they are very knowledgeable and dont leave until they have answered all your problems. They also have a lot of projects that you can download and experiment with. Hope this helps and if you ever get online in a class just say Hi to me, :D Roy Esslinger