Shapeoko 2 Questions

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
marcus4e
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Shapeoko 2 Questions

Post by marcus4e »

I am building a Shapeoko 2 and have it about ready for testing. I am considering Cut2D or Cut3D and I have several questions.

1. Are there post processors for these programs to run with the Arduino / gShield micro controller.
2. Eventually I will be upgrading to the TinyG micro controller. Are there post processors for this system?
3. I am a beginner at CNC and do not fully appreciate the differences in the Cut2D and Cut3D software to know which one to purchase. I believe most of the projects I have in mind that Cut2D will do the job, but I hate to find out later on that I need Cut3D to do something I had not planned on at this time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Being a hobbyist, I wish to minimize my $ expenditure. Right now, my plans are to make wooden clock movements with wooden gears so I think Cut2D is sufficient, but I know that I will be expanding my project thoughts as I get the system working. Any help or guidance in sorting out which to choose will be appreciated.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Shapeoko 2 Questions

Post by Adrian »

It's not really the controller board such as those you've mentioned rather than the controller software that is important for the Post Processor.

Most people with self made machines use Mach3 but there are Post Processors for WinCNC and generic g-code ones.

Cut3D is made for machining existing 3D dimensional (either true 3D or relief) models. You cannot create models or any form of vectors with Cut3D.

Cut2D will allow you to create vectors and toolpath them as well as import from other programs. It can create profile, pocket and drilling toolpaths.

For most general CNC work Cut2D is the one you want and certainly the right one for wooden gears etc. If you can afford it VCarve would give you even more options.

The support pages at http://support.vectric.com have more information, videos of each product and trial downloads etc.

marcus4e
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by marcus4e »

Adrian,

Thanks

I will be using the gcode software for the gShield called the GRBL Universal Gcode Sender. Is there a post processor for this software or do I use a generic one?

I kind of figured Cut2D is what I wanted. Plus, it has an Upgrade path to Vcarve Pro if I need those capabilities in the future.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The generic gcode post processor should work fine with that. There is a Post Processor editing guide on the Help menu in Cut2D as well which will help you with any specific tweaks.

It's probably worth doing a search on Inventables as someone has probably already tweaked a post processor.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Marcus,

I am pretty sure Cut2D does NOT do text engraving which is a biggie in my book.

V-Carve Pro does do text engraving - PLUS - you can import 3D tool path from Cut3D and also from Machinist

For the 3D stuff there is a FREE 3D machinist than is limited to importing models from Vector art 3D.

The combination between V-Carve Pro and FREE machinist gives you some very powerful options.

Cut2D all by itself is a really good low cost option, but limits you on what you can do.
I don't think you can import 3D toolpath as you can with V-Carve Pro.
Cut2D can draw vectors - only in 2D space - not 3D.
Cut 2D does not text engrave.

Cut 3D can ONLY import models that are premade.
There is no way to create or edit models and no way to create any vectors
The biggest difference between Cut3D and Machinist is that Cut3D can import models in several file formats, whereas Machinist only works with models from VectorArt3D.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Cut2D has the quick engraving toolpath. It can import 3D tool paths (from 3D Machinist/Cut3D) and PhotoVCarve toolpaths in the same way as VCarve.