cut3d

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
maineshops
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home built

cut3d

Post by maineshops »

another question for cut3d. wife cuts tracer boards for her quilting machine. they are simply things like repetitive flower or leaf patterns that are .125 wide and .125 deep in .25 foam board sheet. can cut3d accomplish this easier than other software? just from reading up on cut 3d she would have to use other software to work the pattern and then transfer it to cut3d. is that correct? it looks like vcarve might be a better choice for this type of work. Dan

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Re: cut3d

Post by CharlieP »

Hi Dan,

Cut3D can only toolpath models that are imported to it. It does not have any modelling features.
VCarve Pro 7.5 would be able to deal with repetitive and cloned features with ease, and combined with the 3D toolpathing from Cut3D you can do full 3D carving through VCarve Pro.

If you were looking to do proper 3D modelling for a low relief carving, you really want to be looking at Aspire. It features the same drawing and toolpathing as VCarve Pro 7.5 but is upgraded to support modelling and 3D toolpathing as well.

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman

Post by maineshops »

thanks Charlie. i agree Aspire would be great except for the price for a hobby situation. we're doing ok with the other software. just trying to expand our horizons without damaging the retirement foundation. LOL....... Dan way up in northern Maine.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Dan, Unfamiliar with quilting boards, but a lot of flowers and leaves can be done in VCP with 2.5D with the different bit geometries to simulate the shapes. Pointed roundoverbits in particular can create many shapes depending on the depth of cut. I've had good luck with just Vbits and small ball noses using the circular arrays and fluting. Just got back from fly fishing and canoeing in "The County" and visiting in Madawaska and Limestone--- Whereabouts you at?
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman

Post by maineshops »

Scott .....we're in Ludlow next to Houlton. actually we can do 2.5d with other software but the learning curve is steep with it. it is hard to sort out what you actually need from all the extraneous "stuff". we are doing her boards with it now. looking more to expand our knowledge base without too much expense. Dan

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Dan, We have a Shopbot Desktop with VCarvePro and Partworks 3D (identical to cut 3D but only their Post Processor) in Limestone, Maine at "The Artists Nook" on Summit Street(Tom Cote's carving shop). His son Kirk is running it for us and when we dropped in Sunday he'd been doing a fair amount of 3D and doing some neat stuff in VCP too. If you gave him a call I'm sure he'd spend some time with you and walk you through some stuff. He's been at the Acadian World Congress all week with the machine though--He may still be set up at the Acadian Village though with the Desktop. Tell Him I sent you :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman

Post by maineshops »

thats interesting Scott. I know Dee Cote (toms brother) quite well and i just did a machining job for Morris Cote, another brother. small world. interesting to note tom is into cnc. Dee is not at all interested in that type of carving. Dee has a woodcarving class up in littelton. wonderful folks all.
anyway back to cnc. i built my machine from scratch and the learning curve on the whole process of hardware, software, old age etc is challenging for me, but fun. Dan

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Dan, Tom is NOT into CNC, but he's glad it got his son Kirk into wood, as Kirk always bemoaned the fact that the woodcarving "Gene" skipped 1 generation with him. Not sure how Happy Tom is sharing a hand carving shop with our Desktop and a Fein Vac, but he hasn't kicked us out Yet! :)
He's amazed at the VCarved text, but still- with one knife stroke at an undercut side he can beat us hands down.
Know he's got one brother with all the toys/bells/whistles/tools near Houlton we get our Butternut from(Possibly Dee--Don't know) and they occasionally surface stuff down there Tom's planer can't take that we get from an Amish gentleman in Easton(weird to see a full shop with NO electricity-pretty neat actually and may do some inlay work for him using Paul Z's technique in Black Walnut and Maple) .
Yep, Pretty difficult at first, but with forum and asking questions you'll be amazed! Kirk only came down to use my machine for very first time in November and had NO experience. Got his machine in January this year and is already making stuff I haven't played with yet.
We haven't got Aspire yet until he makes enough money to buy it, but VCarvePro is much more versatile than Cut3D and between the two, there are a LOT of options. Recommend you take the hour drive to Limestone and let Kirk show you the limitations and benefits of each. MUCH easier to visualize in person and you can make a more informed decision with your money.
I'll shoot him an e-mail saying to maybe expect your call?
I'm sure he'll love me for for interrupting his cutting time, But hey- My Dad's the boss of both of us :)
Hopefully what you'd like to do won't make us arch-enemies and competitors in "The County" :)
Stick with Vectric, You won't regret it (becomes almost intuitive after a short while) If I had to do Gcode I'd still be at first base.
If any questions at all feel free to e-mail scottkport@gmail.com
After a few day's at Libby's, I realize we're almost different states, but us Mainer's have to stick together:)
R.N.

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman

Post by maineshops »

Ya Scott that is Dee that has the butternut. i told him i would mill it for him if he helped but impatient Dee had someone else mill it and been complaining about the price every sense. LOL.
actually Morris gave me Kirk's number so i'll blame him and keep you out of hot water.
looked up Paul Z's v carve and that looks very interesting and added to my bucket list.
Tom is The best woodcarver however i don't think he would like to carve the 30 name tags that i just finished by hand. A place for every technique i guess.
actually squeezing G code out of the other software really isn't that bad once you wade through the extraneous fluff.
Dan..... way up in Ludlow

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Dan, Kirks expecting your call and actually looking forward to it. Good chance to inspect the software! Kirk can read code--I'd be lost without Vectric :)
Haven't really played with the butternut, but sure made the shop smell nice when I surfaced some!
Grab one of my reject buttons when you're there and ask your wife for her opinions on size and designs.
Bring some scrap wood if you want to try some VCarving on the fly. I think You'll like VCP. Bring dense/fine grained wood for trying out either some VectorArt3D files we've bought or some that come with the software.
Kirk will need a few days off to re-set up in shop and to recharge from Acadian World Congress.
scott
R.N.

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman

Post by maineshops »

Scrtt....don't know for sure when we,ll get op there. still finishing up the camper and my bobcat quit on me.
i used to make wood buttons for ma on ocasion a long time ago when she was making a lot of clothes for the kids. doing them on the cnc would be a kick.
did you find a pattern for them or generate your own? Dan

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Funny Dan, Started at Xmas for MY Mom :) Tried a couple of different graphics at same time, but hard to find animals/designs with holes in their belly-buttons(never mind the thread). Did personalized ones(good practice with text). Dropped 250 with Kirk (150 ready for beeswax/oil/buffing pad finish) not enough time for dipping lacquer to cure, and I don't have the hang of it yet.
Did a bunch of originals inspired by CarveOne, as I was worried about copyrights and the fluting toolpath gave me simple/fast/easy and I could work on a production method at same time. Wish I'd taken pics, but fishing trip and Congress pushed me, so just brought them up. Still have 6 more to finish that "got away" from buffing wheel and found yesterday in shop :) Will take decent pics.
Customer response was weird-- Tons of interest, but always "too big/small/simple/not rectangular or oval/4 hole/ etc..." enough sold to pay for all stock and working on Celtic designs from a program Martin gave me. LOTS of interest for personalized but not sure we can make a buck yet. Working on Etsy site.
Be careful!! Your wife will want enough to keep you busy for a week :) Easy to do with VCP and think you should seriously consider spending the money as it is SOO easy to do with circular array(please don't go into production until we get our feet on the ground:).http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20349
R.N.

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman

Post by maineshops »

Scott i don't do production. retired to me means retired. did production too many years. LOL

you might think of tumbling those small parts. it would take some fooling around to get the right combination. i've used strips of sandpaper for a first tumble for instance, then go to perhaps corn cobs or walnut shells and wax? just a couple of ideas. i've got an old cement mixer here that will do about 100,000 buttons per load that i would part with. Talk about production.
when i get caught up here a bit i'll try the demo. we use the heck out of vector art machine and really like that. with the machine shop and sawmill and some odd woodworking projects i just don't know how much i would use it. i have cut back running the manual sawmill though. gettin too hard on me when i run it myself.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Dan, Have thought a little about vibratory tumble, but still early days. Kirk has heard about you, he thinks he's seen your work. Have you done some "plates" with some 3d carving on the back?
If you have capability now, I was just wondering why you were looking at Cut3D? Good for fast setup and carving existing designs, but no help really to making designs. VCarvePro probably more what you are looking for and do 2.5D? Very versatile, but Aspire down the road would let you do anything. Probably be our next upgrade after getting Z-upgrade.
Can you post some pics of some of your work? Interested :)
Demo will probably answer most of your questions in an hour and get your blood going :)
R.N.

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman

Post by maineshops »

Scott i have been using vector art machine for awhile now and like it. i was just trying to find something different to do but easier than other software.
just what i have gleaned from our conversations until i can justify aspire i'll stich with VA machine and other software
Yes i do plates with the carving on the front of the plate. i dish it first then cut the carving and then finish the plate on a conventional lathe. i also cut the pattern down to 1 in and do pocket watches.
this laptop crashed and i lost all my pics. i'll get on the big computer and see if i can send some. Dan