buying cut 3d

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
maineshops
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home built

buying cut 3d

Post by maineshops »

i'm thinking of buying cut 3d. i have been using vector art with good success on my homemade machine with MACH3. other than aspire, which i can't afford, what is the best all around package?
can i import any artwork into cut3d? or do i have to use canned programs like vector art machine? the demo shows vector art work.

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Re: buying cut 3d

Post by mezalick »

Cut3D supports most of the industry standard 3D Mesh file formats.
•STL, 3D DXF, 3DS, OBJ, WRL, LWO, V3M
•ShopBot Probe and MaxNC scans

All the .stl and .obj files available on the internet should give you plenty to work with.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Post by CharlieP »

Cut3D has more options available then VectorArt 3D as well as the power to import 3D models from other file formats then the V3M files, unlike VectorArt 3D.

You can try the additional formats for yourself with the free trial.

VCarve Pro 7.5 is a more allrounder package then Cut3D, it is focused more on allowing you to design your own projects then being limited to the files imported to it. Combined with the 3D toolpathing of Cut3D or VectorArt 3D you can get alot of additional functions out of it. An FAQ about importing 3D toolpathing can be found here. http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... c-programs

I hope this helps,

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Post by maineshops »

thanks much for the input. at my age i don't think that i would do much in the way of learning to design. i was more interested in expanding my options for experimenting further than vector art machine. VAM is great and i will continue to use it but after awhile i feel "hog tied". for my hobby needs it looks like cut 3d will fit the bill pretty well for the price. Dan up in northern maine.