Hello all!

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
seabreezr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

Hello all!

Post by seabreezr »

I would like to do a 3d pattern and I was watching the video but I noticed on that video he says to put your z0 on top of board and not bottom, but I noticed the dot is on the bottom of board. So now my question is when you cut 3d should your z zero be on top of board like in vcp or bottom for 3d's?

thank you all for your help.

Seabreezr

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Hello all!

Post by Adrian »

Which video?

seabreezr
Vectric Craftsman

Post by seabreezr »

the first video on 3d

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

It's just a glitch in the video where he toggles it to show the difference. The Z is at the top of the board.

The rule of thumb I follow is whenever you're doing an operation where the distance from the face to the bottom of the board is critical (such as 3D work, pockets, rabbets, dadoes, vcarving etc) I zero from the top of the material.

Most of what I do is profile cuts straight through so I prefer to zero at the machine bed so I know my through cuts will be consistent and I don't have to worry about getting the thickness of every board spot on.

As long as you're accurate with the measurement of your material thickness you can zero from the top on every job.

seabreezr
Vectric Craftsman

Post by seabreezr »

Thank you so much Adrian for responding that sure helped me a lot.. I just couldn't understand when I was doing the top on both cnc and 3d it was plunging down real fast and no matter how tight I put my clamps it was moving. Vectric said I was not putting 3d site and vcarve pro z matching together and my machine might have it different than the 3d. But it looks the same to me. WELL I am going to try again and make sure everything is a go and will put on top board like I always do. Does it normally go straight down like that? or am I asking a silly question ?? :oops: :oops: :D
Thank you again,
Have an awesome night whats left...

Seabreezr from fl

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

From the sound of it you had the z zero set differently between Cut3D and the machine so it plunged straight to the bottom of the material. If you have both set to the top then it should be ok.