How can we control the pass depth in finishing toolpath

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Marcel Leclerc
Model of CNC Machine: YH9018

How can we control the pass depth in finishing toolpath

Post by Marcel Leclerc »

In Tool Database window, there is a Pass Depth option in Cutting Parameters but it seems to have no effect for Finishing Toolpath.

The problem is that, I am using a tool which is 0.25” Diameter (D) with a cut height (C) 0.75” but the finishing toolpath plunge more than 0.75”, even if I have written a much smaller Pass Depth.

Is there any solution?

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: How can we control the pass depth in finishing toolpath

Post by Leo »

There are a few ways to handle that.

1) Create your finish tool path. Then - instead of setting the cutter on top of the work piece - put a 1/4 thick of whatever you decide piece on top of your workpiece - set the cutter on top of that - then zero out the cutter. You can do that in as many steps as you desire. Run the toolpath - then set the tool a little lower and run it again.

2) You could create a roughing toolpath in Cut 3D and also a finish tool path, using the same tool. When you output (save) your toolpath select both tools to save in one file. You can control you roughing steps with the DOC in the tool manager box.

3) I dunno - I though there were at least 3-4 ways, but I cannot think of another right now.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: How can we control the pass depth in finishing toolpath

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Use a roughing toolpath to remove the bulk of the unwanted material. A roughing toolpath will use the pass depth specified for the bit. The finish toolpath will always be at the full depth.

from the Cut3D Features page: ->Link
Roughing Toolpaths
Fast and efficient Z Level rough machining removes unwanted stock material quickly and easily, leaving material on the model for the Finishing toolpath to remove.
The rough machining strategy includes options for profiling at each z level to reduce uneven loading on the finishing cutter.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop