How to change a photo into a Cut3D format file

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
sentrum
Model of CNC Machine: Datacut

How to change a photo into a Cut3D format file

Post by sentrum »

Can someone please explain to me in layman's language if it is possible to take a jpeg photo and convert it to a 3d format and if so, how to do it? It will be my first CUT 3 D effort. I think I know how to make use of Vector ART files, but would love to cut profiles of my grandchildren. Thanks

Beamer
Model of CNC Machine: Self-bult of my own design.

Re: How to change a photo into a Cut3D format file

Post by Beamer »

In simple terms? I hate to say it but you just can't.

A JPG has no 3D information at all, only color information stored in a 2D matrix. There is not enough information in the file to glean 3D information out of it. I've seen some tutorials that can take two photos of the EXACT same scene taken from two different angles at a known distance apart. This is very hard to do with humans unless you use two cameras that are setup on tripods and fired at exactly the same time. Then some software can kind of come up with a 3D model and then you can clean them up. It's a pretty heavy duty task, though.
Jason Beam
Sacramento, CA
http://beamerweb.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

You will probably need several programs beyond Cut3D to create a 3D model that is a good representation of a person. At the very least you would need Aspire. It will also require a LOT of manual steps.

Take a look at ->this thread to see what CraigW is doing. He uses at least six different programs, but his results are excellent.

The main question for you is, how much money, time, and effort do you wan tto put into this?

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Amazing work. But Willie begins to look like a religious figure...then again, maybe he is...

Angie

sentrum
Model of CNC Machine: Datacut

Post by sentrum »

Thank you for your reply, Beamer. Appreciated. Now I can put my mind to rest about this matter, as it would have really bugged me to one day find out that I could have done something, but did not! The methods you refer to is definitely way above my computer literacy skills so I shall make do with a Photocarve image of each instead. I could not help bursting out with laughter re the remark of Angie. Although grandparents think that their grandchildren are angels, I must admit it is not a good idea to make them appear "saintly" :lol: