Newb needs help with first 3d project!!!!

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
droutt
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Mako

Newb needs help with first 3d project!!!!

Post by droutt »

I am trying my first 3d project, the maple leaf bowl that comes with Cut3d. The rough out pass does okay using the .25 end mill, but the finishing pass is leaving "corn rows" or groves and not coming out smooth. The program is set to use the .125 end mill and I am using all the default setting that are loaded on to the sample file. Also, a second problem of when I turn the piece over to do the bottom side the top and bottom do not match up, the carving is off. I am using a set up block on my spoil board and I am fairly certain the origin of x/y axis on top and bottom are in the same spot. Anyone who can help this frustrated newb out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: Newb needs help with first 3d project!!!!

Post by Xxray »

Adjusting stepover value to 8-10% should reduce or eliminate the rows.
If it is in that range already then obviously must be something else but thats the most common culprit.
Doug

Alan Male
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: heiz 400T

Post by Alan Male »

When you cut with a .125 end mill, is it a radiused end mill as expected or a flat bottom?
Cheers,
Alan
CNC m/c - Heiz 400T
Software - Aspire, VCarve Pro, Photo VCarve, WinPC-NC
CAD - Catia V5

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Make sure stepover is like xray says. Have had to go as low as 6% to get what I want. strongly recommend reference pins/dowels for two sided for anything with closer tolerances and always do it now after I messed up once. Here's a good vid where TJ talks you through it.http://www.shopbottools.com/Training/Vi ... hining.wmv

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Oh, Haven't looked at file yet :( , but a ball nose at those stepovers leaves an almost sand free finish if it's sharp.

droutt
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Mako

Post by droutt »

Thanks for the come backs. I will have to educate myself a bit more on how to adjust the step overs. It sounds like that is how to solve my one problem. The two bits I tried were a flat bottom spiral end mill and a ball nose and got corn rows with both, but I wasn't aware of the of the step over issue. The dowel pins also sounds like a way to solve my other problem Thanks again.