Beveled edges on flat stock

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
jnicol
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made

Beveled edges on flat stock

Post by jnicol »

I was wondering if Cut3D can cut just edges with bevels of various angles on sheet stock rather than try to carve the whole piece out? What I have is a long piece of foam core for an aircraft that has different angles on each edge, which will join onto other angled pieces creating a form. Right now when I import the stl file, the software basically carves the whole thing including the top, which is flat and doesn't need to be milled. Here is a shot of the part with the angles I am talking about:

So basically I just want the edges milled and leave the top alone. Right now it is calculating a milling time of about 29 hours, which is not going to happen. Any hints?

Regards,
John

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Beveled edges on flat stock

Post by Adrian »

That's the way Cut3D works. If you want to limit the areas of machining you need Aspire.

jnicol
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made

Post by jnicol »

How is it done in Aspire? I have looked at a few of the 3D tutorials, but I haven't seen a methodology on how to isolate part of the 3D component, or from the top surface. I have Aspire as well. I have tried making the part .1mm higher than the material surface for example, but it still tries to mill the surface flat..... Sorry if this appears to be obvious, my search skills have failed me in trying to find the solution so far. This is my first time with an stl file and components and the manual is a bit light on details. It assumes milling of whole 3D objects. What I want to do is the edges. For this particular part, each edge has a different bevelled angle.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

With Aspire you draw a vector around the part you want to machine and then make sure you have that selected when you create the roughing/finishing toolpaths. Aspire will then only machine the part of the 3D object that is within the vector.