Issues with Layout

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
twertsy
Model of CNC Machine: IndustrialCNC 4x4

Issues with Layout

Post by twertsy »

Hello all, First, I'm a newb. I have successfully completed projects with Cut3d already but I'm having issues currently. Hopefully, you can help. I'm cutting a pretty simple piece for a round pub table (Inner ring to outer ring support). The shape is simple, as you can see from the pics and to be cut from 5/4, 6" wide Ipe. The final piece is ~13" if that matters. Not shown in the pics is a 1/2" long, 3/8" wide tongue on each end but that really doesn't matter (I don't think) for this issue.

Here is what I built in Sketchup (attachment: sketchup.jpg), then exported in .dxf format.
When I import the model into Cut3d, it looks like (attachment: cut3d.jpg)
If I change/correct the size of the stock, it looks like (attachment: cut3dchangestock.jpg)
I want it to look like (attachment: cut3doptimal.jpg)

I cannot get the piece to reorient along the X axis where I would like to lay my stock piece. Additionally, it's creating a toolpath that thinks it is cutting out of a 12x12 piece of stock, which is a huge waste and time consumer! Can someone please help me get my piece oriented along the X axis (or Y axis, I really don't care!!!), just not diagonal!
Attachments
Original sketchup model of final piece
Original sketchup model of final piece
What it looks like when imported to Cut3d
What it looks like when imported to Cut3d
If I change the size of the stock, it looks like this:
If I change the size of the stock, it looks like this:
This is what I want!
This is what I want!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Issues with Layout

Post by Adrian »

Is that really a 3D piece? Looks more like a 2D cut from the pictures.

twertsy
Model of CNC Machine: IndustrialCNC 4x4

Re: Issues with Layout

Post by twertsy »

I created simple drawings in powerpoint here at work simply to illustrate the issue. Yes, it's 3d but the pics are not shots of the "actual model." Like I said, there is a 3/8" tongue extending 1/2" from the center of each end that isn't shown in my crude drawings, but I'd have to assume that they don't matter since my major issue is the orientation of the model, not the model itself.