Nubie Problem with jagged edges instead of smooth holes

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Bob Trag
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx WD-1

Nubie Problem with jagged edges instead of smooth holes

Post by Bob Trag »

Hello Everyone,

I have a new Romaxx WD-1 CNC and when I cut what should be a rounded hole, I get a rounded hole with slight "teeth bite" marks around the edge.
Am I cutting too fast too slow? I checked the "profile cut first" I'm only doing a rough cut because the finish cuts want to cover the entire piece and take forver!
My rectangular holes are fine just the skewed holes aren't cutting right?
Just need the machine to do holes smoothly.
Any help is apreciated!

Thanks!
IMAG0926[1].jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Nubie Problem with jagged edges instead of smooth holes

Post by Adrian »

You won't get a smooth finish until you've run the finishing toolpath. That's the way 3D machining works.

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

It looks like you are cutting node to node and it will leave jagged cuts. If you are running Mach software for a controller, be sure the IJ mode is selected in you config, and that your CV mode is checked as being on.

Roy

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Are you using Cut3D to make those holes?

I didn't think Cut3D could function that way.

I am not even sure how you would do that.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Bob Trag

Post by Bob Trag »

I think my problem is that I am exporting from autocad to .stl format which doesn't preserve true curves.
I have tried to load .dxf but the CUT3D program just hangs and does not load the file. Anyone know what version of .dxf that CUT3D "likes"

TIA
Bob

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

Well, first off, if all you are doing is cutting pieces out, Cut3D is the wrong tool for the job. Unless you actually need some 3D contours, Cut2D or VCarve Pro would be tools of choice.
Ron Sloan

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

I didn't see what kind of bit you are using? 2-flute straight bits don't cut as smooth as spiral bits because they lose contact with the wood between each cutter cut. For best results use 3-flute spiral bits.
Does your machine have a smooth stepper board? if it does, make certain it is activated in Mach3.
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Bob, Could you attach the file that you're trying to machine? There are so many possibilities as to where you're going wrong we're all stabbing in the dark really without more info.

If it truly is a 3D piece (and I agree with Ron from the sounds of it it's not) you're never going to get a smooth finish unless you run a proper finishing pass. It's a bit like painting a car and saying you don't like the colour of the undercoat.

Think about how the 3D piece is cutting out and you'll understand why you have rough edges on the circles after just the roughing pass.

Bob Trag

Post by Bob Trag »

First,

Thanks for all of the replies.
I am using 3mm 3 flute spiral end mill bit. Using Cut3D program but I don't need 3d contours here. Cut3D was purchased with the CNC machine.
Forum won't let me upload .dwg or .stl files for you to all to look at... what file type do you want to see?
Really, all that I'm doing is cutting out holes in a guitar top: sound holes, pickup holes and neck pocket hole. I didn't think 2d would cut these, I guess I'm mistaken.
I do have Vcarvepro 6.0 but I it won't load any of my .dwg files. It blinks, then nothing when I try to load one. What version of .dwg does this program "like".... tried .dxf as well. I can save in a lot of file formats from Autocad...
Don't know where to activate smooth stepping in Mach3 (which is what I am using as my milling program)
I just want smooth curves around the edges of my holes....
All attempts at help are greatly appreciated!

Bob

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

Hi Bob,

If the ,dwg file loads in Cut3D, then it is a 3d file, and Vcarve won't open it. You need a 2D file. How did you generate the .dwg files?
Basically all you need are the vectors for the cutouts. If the .dwg files aren't too large, you can zip them and post to the forum. We can take a look, and probably give you a 2D file, if you can't generate one.

Another good option, particularly for learning, is to simply draw them in Vcarve, and generate the toolpaths.
Ron Sloan

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I am pretty sure your problems will go away if you just use VcarvePro and just draw the holes that you want.

What you are trying to do is a 2D toolpath - but you are trying to do it in the most complicated way using a 3D program.

No matter what you do - the learning will be part of it. Nothing "just happens".

Get the video tutorials on drawing in Vcarve and learn how to draw the holes. THAT - is SOOOOOO much easier than all the import stuff.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Bob Trag

Post by Bob Trag »

To All,

I aquired a copy of CUT2D and remaniupalted my 80+ hours of 3D autocad drawings and coverted them into 2D drawings that Cut2d could digest. My CNC cut the skewed holes like a champ in less than 2 minutes. The cuts were quick and smooth, just like I had anticipated. I assumed, I guess, that Cut3D would do everything the Cut2D program would do (at the time I purchased it) and do it in the same fashion. Two completly different approaches to CNC cutting, lesson learned...

Thanks Again!
Bob