Cutting bits to use

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
janz
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: shark black diamond

Cutting bits to use

Post by janz »

Wondering what bits folks are using. I have the cut 3d along with the 3 disc collection and have
been trying diff bits on the models. Well cant add the tapered ball nose bits (my favorite so far) to
the tool data base (see post below). Trying to locate a .125 ball nose with 1/4 mount shank, as
this is one of the few tools showing in the tool data base. Will the straight shank cut a lot diff
than the slightly tapered ball nose. I've been using the tapered ball nose with the straight setting
and seems to cut good but can't compare as I don't have the straight bit. There doesn't seem to
be much activity on this forum, wondering if most have moved on to aspire? Can't do that for a few
more months yet.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Cutting bits to use

Post by Adrian »

Aspire didn't have an option for tapered ball noses when it first came out either. To be honest it doesn't really matter if you just setup it as a straight bit as the majority of 3D cutting is done with the tip anyway and the side of the cutter never contacts the piece.

Comes down to what you're cutting at the end of the day. If you're doing relief type work (which sounds like you are) then you won't get any issues.