adding to tool data base

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
janz
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: shark black diamond

adding to tool data base

Post by janz »

Trying to enter the precise bits tapered ball nose bits into the tool database in cut 3d.
Only place it will let me enter the side degree is in the engraving bits category. I was able to
add them in v carve pro and thought it would be just as easy in cut 3d but its not for me. I'm
thinking I'm missing a step there. Even in the engraving bits category it keeps changing the angle
degree on me from what I entered. I've been using the regular straight ball nose choice but using
the tapered ball nose as the actual cutter, comes out OK but think it might be better and take less
time if I were able to enter the tapered ball nose in tool data base. Is the cut 3d program able to
accept the tapered ball nose in it cutting calculations? Hope this makes sense. More and more
want to upgrade to Aspire so I can edit/cut stuff. But for now cut 3d is good experience.
Thanks guys.

janz
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: shark black diamond

Re: adding to tool data base

Post by janz »

Found this post:

You can add your own End Mill and Ball nose cutters in Cut3D.

There is a known bug with the release version of Cut3D when trying to use the Main menu option - View > Tool Database - but there is a very simple work around.

Open a 3D file and Set the Size
Set the Material size

On Step 3 click the Select button to open the Tool Database

New Tools can now be added to the database for future use.

Cut3D does not support the option to enter a different shank / holder diameter for cutters.

I hope this helps,

Well tried that and no luck, trying to enter a tapered ballnose 0.0625in. (1/16in.) dia. tip - 5.4°
0.1250in. (1/8in.) dia. tip - 3.6° into the database the drop down box for type of tool has 4
choices and only the engraving choice allows the side angle to be entered but wont accept the
angles listed above. Also the choices in lower left is missing 3 boxes/choices the new group
choice is not there (as compared to vcp) I used the new group in vcp and went in and works
nicely in vcp So does anyone have an answer or should I go to support for this.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: adding to tool data base

Post by Adrian »

Cut3D is a much older program than VCP and doesn't support a lot of the tool features that VCP has.

I don't have Cut3D on my machine these days as I use Aspire now but I'm surprised it even has an option for engraving bits. From memory I thought it only had endmills and ballnoses.