Model slicing issue

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
jwhils
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSaber 4860

Model slicing issue

Post by jwhils »

I have tried to cut this simple part from a digital scan at 36" x 36". When I slice the object, the top slice machines just fine, however the bottom is not registering the obvious taper of the object from the cut line to the base. Instead, it's projecting to the farthest boundary of the object perpendicular (straight up) resulting in no continuous alignment of the top & bottom. Why is Cut 3d not "seeing" the obvious taper of this part and calculating the tool path correctly? I've spent hours with settings & this is the same result every time.
Attachments
3dcut problem1.JPG
3dsliceproblemtop1.JPG
3dcutproblem2.JPG

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Re: Model slicing issue

Post by eph210 »

From the images in your post, it looks like an item that is somewhat like a dome from above. The label on your third picture indicates bottom-1. That probably indicates that you have chosen 2 sided machining. Looking from the bottom your model is just a cylinder as Cut3d doesn't recognize undercutting. To machine your model you will be machining from the top only (one sided machining) and after slicing you should have top-1 and top-2 which will be more like what you are expecting.
I hope this helps
Euan

jwhils

Post by jwhils »

OK-- that does help. I did not understand that the flat bottom would be the view the software would see. I assume the slices were generated form the cut plane and worked towards the extent of the object. Not from the extent of the object towards the cut plane. I see that logic now. Thanks-

jwhils

Post by jwhils »

Euan- so I tried your suggestion and I only get 1 top file to output. I chose 1 sided machining & placed the cut plane in the center of the model. My understanding from Vectric's tutorial is that you have to choose 2 sided machining in order to get the bottom half to output. Any other suggestions?

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

You need to select one sided machining and place the cut plane on the bottom.

Then in Step 2 you select Slice Model and input the material thickness you will be using. At this point the program will create as many .v3d files as necessary and label them Top - 1, Top - 2, etc.

You will then use each one of these new files as a stand along project to setup and create the toolpaths for that slice.

Tim