Axis Orientation Problem - HELP

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
CastleWorks

Axis Orientation Problem - HELP

Post by CastleWorks »

I am new to Cut3D, and attempting to import an STL file of a scanned table leg. The original scan had the leg running lengthwise along the Z axis. I needed to rotate the part so that the leg ran lengthwise along the X axis.
TO do this I moved the part using MeshLab software and then exported it as an STL file.

I then opened the STL file inCut3D, but the leg is back in the original orientation (with the leg running lengthwise along the Z axis)

I have attached 2 images here, the MeshLab orientation shows how I wish it to be and the Cut3D image shows how it comes into Cut3D.

I am thinking this has to be a common problem and changing the axis orientation is common.

I would appreciate any help or guidance in this matter. I suspect this my be something I am doing wrong in Meshlab, but looking for advice on how others in this forum achieve changing the axis orientation.

Thanks

Kevin
Attachments
Orientation it comes in as.
Orientation it comes in as.
Orientation I need
Orientation I need

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Axis Orientation Problem - HELP

Post by BDM »

I'm still failing to see what the issue is here. So what if a STL comes in upside down, that's why Cut3D has all those orientation buttons so you can put it anyway you want. I bring in STL files all the time that I pick up from around the web and they almost never come in as seen in the pictures on the website, but it is just a matter of rotating until I get it the way I want and then cut it. I wish I could tell you exactly which one(s) to click from memory, but I can't, so for me it is trial and error until it is in the right orientation. I think you attached the actual Cut3D file in one of your previous posts, so if I have time I'll open it and get the right sequence for you.

CastleWorks

Re: Axis Orientation Problem - HELP

Post by CastleWorks »

BDM,

Thanks I do see your point now, initially I thought it was maintaining the XY axis regardless of position. Definitely a newbie mistake on my part.

For others who may read this in the future, I did find it helpful to re orient the STL file in MeshLab to take advantage. of flat surfaces so that they are easier to machine.

Thanks again!

Kevin