HELP....Changing a part orientation

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
CastleWorks

HELP....Changing a part orientation

Post by CastleWorks »

I have posted on this previsouly but have not had any replies...perhaps I am not describing my issue properly.

I have imported an STL file into Cut3D, in this case a table leg that is 3"x3"x28". When I scanned the table leg standing straight up the the STL file was generated so that Z axis was 28" high and the XY was 3x3. Rescanning it laying down is not a practical option in this case.

Obviously I cannot cut this on my CNC with a Z axis that great so I want to lay the part down and chage what Cut3D thinks is the "top" of the part

Has anyone else had this issue? I have tried editing the STL in AutoDesk Inventor but it does not allow you to roate a part independant of the coordinate system. Being able to redefine the part in relationship to the coordinate system cannot be that uncommon.

Any help is appreciated

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Re: HELP....Changing a part orientation

Post by eph210 »

When you import a file into cut3d you have to choose an orientation on the first screen. As these orientations are essentially the six faces of a cube you should find two of them that orient your model as required. I am not familiar with inventor but some 3d programs, such as hexagon, allow you to re-define the axes when you export the file, converting Z into -Y for instance.
I hope this helps
Euan

CastleWorks

Re: HELP....Changing a part orientation

Post by CastleWorks »

Hi Euan,

Thanks for the input, the more I look at this, I think the best solution is going to be to re define the coordinate system prior to exporting the STL file. It is an odd orientation and none of the 6 standard orientations in Cut3D fit is well.

Kevin