Vector Art 3D and Cut 3D

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
SawDust913
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus HD Routing System

Vector Art 3D and Cut 3D

Post by SawDust913 »

The models i bought from Vector Art 3D, Only have the top when imported into cut 3D. Is there a way to do a mirror image then put the 2 halves together, maybe using VCarvePro 7, import back into cut 3D to calculate a 4 sided machining. Trying to create a standing Bear #23 in Animals collection, I have carved 1, mirrored the bear and glued them together, but the front and back need carved to make it look right. Or is this another situation when Aspire4 is the answer?

SawDust913
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Vector Art 3D and Cut 3D

Post by SawDust913 »

How to get a model calibrated in cut3D to VCarve Pro? I don't have a tab for (SAVE TO VCARVE) and (file-save as) don't work! Importing from VCarve don't work either?

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

I don't have Aspire or Cut3D yet, but I may be able to offer some small bit of help.

The VectorArt3D models are all single-sided as far as I know.

VCarvePro won't allow you to do anything with a 3D model other than position & route it. In order to use a VectorArt3D model in VCarvePro, you need to get VectorArt3D Machinist, which is a free program that calculates the tool paths, then you can import those tool paths into VCarvePro. Since I don't have Cut3D, I don't know if you can export 3D tool paths from it to VCarvePro.

Here's a link to 3D Machinist: http://www.vectorart3d.com/machinist_free/

You should be able to buy a fully 3D Bear model, in probably STL format, and bring that in to Cut3D and accomplish what you're looking to do. Do a Google search for 3D Bear STL or something like that. It'll probably take some time to find what you want. You'd still have to flip your work piece over perfectly in your router to not have to do some hand clean up, so I don't know if that gets you ahead at all.

Maybe somebody more experienced than I am will chime in.

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Tough to tell what you are trying to do, you will never do true 3D with a V3D model no matter what program you have, only 2.5.
Are you trying to take a bear model and machine the model on both sides of the wood ?
Doug

SawDust913
Vectric Apprentice

Post by SawDust913 »

Thanks for the help! Yea I figured that the models are one side carving, which I have cut 2 sided using a mirror image and flip the model over and carve the other side. But from what I see in here is Cut3D models should import into VCarve, I do that with 3D-Machinist and import into VCarve. I'm just not finding a way to get the Cut3D files into VCarve? Are you aware that there is 5 four sided models in Cut3D program?

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I have cut 3d but having aspire I rarely have ever used it, so maybe someone else better qualified to answer will chime in.

Are you talking about models for a rotary axis [4 sided models] ?
Doug

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

SawDust913 - you can definitely import Cut3D toolpaths into VCarve Pro in more or less the same way you can import Machinist files. In Cut3D you will need to make sure you have worked through the toolpath setup and previewed the result. Then when you get to the last stage, instead of saving the toolpaths themselves using the buttons, you will need to go up to the word "File" in the top left corner of the Cut 3D window and then choose "Save As..." from the drop down menu. Give the file a different name to make sure you can differentiate from the original, I often add a TP to the name to indicate it has a ToolPath in it.

Then in VCarve Pro once you have a job setup or a file open you should be able to use the Import Vectors button to load the toolpaths from the V3D file you saved. If you have trouble with any of this then please email support@vectric.com for more help.

With regard to cutting Vector Art 3D models as a 2 sided job you should be able to do this but it will need to be setup manually rather than using the 2-sided feature in Cut3D. The second side would need to be mirrored when you calculate the toolpath and you'd have to ensure you had a way to position each side accurately for the alignment. Most of the models will not look that good done in this way though as they are designed for single sided cutting as a relief model.

Regards,
James

SawDust913
Vectric Apprentice

Post by SawDust913 »

Thank You James, I am able to put Cut3D model into VCarve; Someday I'll be able to get Aspire :)