Model stock (use, import, select?)

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
vizualiai
Model of CNC Machine: CNC master

Model stock (use, import, select?)

Post by vizualiai »

Hi,

I have tried Cut3D, but didn't find any option to choose "Stock model" from. I imported 3d model, ant the stock model generated automatically around my 3d model. For example if my model at the beginning is 10mm thickness and at the end of the model it is 90mm thickness and the length is 2 meters. Cut3d creates the same height model stock, so the machine will cut half time the air, thinking that there is some material.

Here is example, what i am talking about:
Attachments
stock.jpg

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Model stock (use, import, select?)

Post by tmerrill »

All the Vectric programs assume a rectangular stock so what you are seeing in Cut3D is how the program is designed.

The Finish pass should not be an issue as it is always a single pass to the surface of the model so there will not be any time wasted on air cutting.

The Roughing pass can be set up to minimize air cut time IF the actual stock shape is close to the model shape as you show in your example. Easiest way is to set Pass Depth for the roughing bit to equal the Material Thickness you have set. This will create a single roughing pass over the model surface and still observe the Machining Allowance you have set. You need to be sure your machine can handle the maximum amount of material that could be removed during the deepest actual cuts.

Another option is to use Z Level roughing. You can control the number of levels with the Pass Depth and with stepover set as high as possible, time will be reduced. Also, the Z Level option doesn't keep running over the entire model for each pass like the 3D Raster option does. The Z Level option does can leave more material for the finish pass to remove and you would need to ensure this will not create a problem for your finish pass and bit.

Tim

vizualiai
Model of CNC Machine: CNC master

Re: Model stock (use, import, select?)

Post by vizualiai »

Thanks tmerrill for quick answer Now it's clear.

Maybe in near future (later versions) it will be possible to select Model Stock :)