Where to find Foam Blocks for prototyping

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
CastleWorks

Where to find Foam Blocks for prototyping

Post by CastleWorks »

I am just entering the world of Cut3D and would like to try some of the projects in the trial version of Cut3D. I have never cut anything in 3D but have been using VCare Pro for several years.

I am looking for recommendations on what type of foam to use for practice pieces. Are there low cost alternatives to HDU foam I have seen referenced in other posts? Is the pink foam at home stores adequate?

Does anyone have experience in cutting the Porsche trial version project? What is the best approach to cutting something like this.... to cut the top half and then the bottom half seperately?

I have seen images of ball mills that have a long OAL to get into deep cavities but having difficulty finding a source for these. Any suggestions on a supplier?

The 3D world has generated so many questions. I appreciate any feedback and recommendations.

Thanks!

Kevin

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Where to find Foam Blocks for prototyping

Post by Adrian »

When I first started out I used blue carving wax. The beauty of that is you can melt it all back down and start all over again without having to buy more material. I'm still using the original block I bought in 2006.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Go to the Borg.

Get some insulation foam, blue or pink.

It comes in sheets of various thicknesses.

Have fun.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

signsbyjay
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Bot

Post by signsbyjay »

Look up packaging companies in your area, I had one in Tulsa that had foam in blocks 4' tall and would cut them with a hot wire to what ever thickness you wanted. sold 4 X 8 sheets for $16 per inch. It has been over a year since I lived there so the price may have gone up.

Jay

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

Lots of options but I don't think you can cut with a trail version of software. You can draw but not cut.
I don't have cut 3d but that's the way Aspire and V Carve pro are. Just FYI.... double check.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Cut3D is the same as the other Vectric products as far as the trial goes. You can cut any of the supplied projects but not your own.