Making dished surface with carved horse

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Mr.Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: MAKE DO

Making dished surface with carved horse

Post by Mr.Chips »

I have purchased VCPro and Cut3D a couple years ago, and use VCP but have never used Cut3D. I would like to cut a horizontal dished oval about 6" across the horizontal with a horse carving in it. Have no idea where to start.

The horse file is a STL file is this the file type I need?

Is there a step by step tutorial for this type of work?

Is this the correct SW or would be VCP be better?

Thanks for your upcoming help.
Mr. Chips

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Re: Making dished surface with carved horse

Post by PaulRowntree »

Cut3D is for cutting STL files without additional design work. If you want to have the STL as one part of a larger design, you can import the Cut3D toolpath into VCP.
Try looking at the tutorial site
http://www.vectric.com/support/training ... -mach.html

There is a PDF document at the bottom of the list that describes the importing using std Vectric codes. Note that your importing options are limited, so make sure you have your toolpaths set correctly before importing. With this method you can reposition and mirror the cut area, but I don't think you can rescale it.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Making dished surface with carved horse

Post by tmerrill »

If I read your question right, you have a 3D stl model of a horse and want to place this in an oval dish shape and then carve them together???

If so, you cannot do this with Cut3D alone or Cut3D and VCP.

Cut3D will only toolpath one model at at time so you would need to have a single 3D model of a horse in an oval dish shape created in a 3D modeling program or purchased already made. Then you would be good to go.

As Paul describes you could then import the toolpaths from Cut3D into VCP and create a larger project with the horse/dish shape part of it.

To do exactly what you are describing you would need Aspire which allows you to join and merge different 3D models.

If you aren't aware of it, VectorArt 3D offers all their models in a style where the model is already placed in a circle or oval, depending on the particular model. It may be worth a search there to see if they have what you need: www.vectorart3d.com

Tim