Any way to do"all climb" or "all conventional" cutting?

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
planman
Model of CNC Machine: Mach3 - Custom Built

Any way to do"all climb" or "all conventional" cutting?

Post by planman »

Hello,

Does anyone know how to set Cut3D for either all-climb or all conventional cutting? I am thinking something similar to how the direction of cut is set in Vcarve pocketing.

I am asking because the wood I am machining produces wonderful giant chips when cutting in one direction... and terrible tear out when cutting in the other direction.

I have increased spindle speed which reduced the tear out, reduced the step over (helped also), and reduced the feed rate... but still none of these adjustments is nearly as effective as simply cutting in the best direction.

Does anyone know of a setting I can change? Or anything else I can tweak?

Next on the list is trying a smaller cutter.

Thank you!

Charles

CCWashout
Model of CNC Machine: Home built 3 Axis router

Re: Any way to do"all climb" or "all conventional" cutting?

Post by CCWashout »

I would also like to know if this is possible, as routers tend to prefer climb milling to conventional and whilst my machine will do conventional its not as clean as using climb only.

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

If I understand the question correctly then I'd suggest you hogout the bulk across the grain then finish with the grain to avoid ripout.
Machining across the grain might sound odd but that's how it works for me. For pocketing in timber I machine the finished edge first and make the start points at a location that wont allow ripout then hogout the guts.

planman
Model of CNC Machine: Mach3 - Custom Built

Post by planman »

Awesome advice. The way that you explain it makes a lot of sense!

I can't wait to try it!