cutting slot width

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
iacomputerguy
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD

cutting slot width

Post by iacomputerguy »

I'm trying to cut a 3/4" wide slot. I saved the slot as a 3ds file and brought it in to Cut3D, but when I cut it I get a 1 " wide slot. I realize that this is my 1/4" cutter (1/2 on each slide of the slot), but why is it not taking that into account? (See toolpath below)

Originally I wanted to cut several of these slots in a larger board to save time, but I have not figured out how to not cut out the area between the multiple slots, or to have the cutter trying to finish the entire top surface of a large sheet. (If you could tell me how to do that too, that would be greatly appreciated.)

Thanks in advance for any help.
slot cutting too wide.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: cutting slot width

Post by Adrian »

I don't use Cut3D enough to answer your first question but with the other Cut3D is basically designed to machine one 3D part. What you want to do is to machine multiple parts. You would need to import the toolpaths into VCarve or Cut2D and lay them out where you want them there to avoid the machining between the parts.

If you have VCarve then you can create these shapes as 2D fluting toolpaths which would be a great deal faster to machine.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

May be worth checking that you used the same tool diameter in machine as the one you told Cut3d you were using.

Angie

iacomputerguy
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD

Post by iacomputerguy »

Thanks for your replies. I’ll have to look into the VCarve cutting 2D fluting paths. I’m new to this whole thing. (I do have VCarve.)

I checked the tool size and it is the same as what I input. Looking at the tool path though, no matter what size tool I put in it will be too wide. The last pass on each side is exactly along the edge, so half the cutter will be on the outside.

I tried importing it a a block with material on the outside of the outside and it cut correctly, but then it spends time cutting the top surface of the block. Sounds like VCarve is the way to go.

Thanks for your input!