Pockets around model?

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Novaprops
Model of CNC Machine: CRP4896

Pockets around model?

Post by Novaprops »

I'm new to Cut3D, so I thought I'd ask this here before trying to figure it out myself in the software, or if there's even a way to do it.

My idea: machine half-models in machinable wax with a pocket around there for mold silicone.

So what I'd like to do is machine my models in two halves, basically making a negative-negative mold..a positive of the model, but with a mold for my silicone built right into it. To do this I would need to leave a wall around the pocket for the silicone to pour into.

What's the best way to achieve this without needing to model the entire pocket (bottom, sides, model) in 3d and carving the entire thing? I'd like to be able to use a larger bit to clear the pocket while using tiny bits for the actual model carving.

I hope this makes some sort of sense.

I'm trying to model complex props and action figures and I'll be using tiny bits to do the carving (1/32", 1/64" for precision details), which is why I've chosen machinable wax as my medium.

gordread
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Professor HDX

Re: Pockets around model?

Post by gordread »

If you already have the 3D model that you want to build, then you would have to have at least vCarve Pro, as you would have to build the vectors to create the pocket around your model, you can't do this with Cut3D.

You could then use Cut3D (or the free 3D machinist) to create the toolspaths and then import them to vCarve Pro. You could then use VCP to build the pocket around your model.

Otherwise, you are going to have to build the full model (pocket included) in your existing 3D software, and then run it through Cut3D.

Hope that helps clear it up.

Gordon

Novaprops
Model of CNC Machine: CRP4896

Re: Pockets around model?

Post by Novaprops »

That helps enormously.

I have VCarvePro, but I haven't tried importing Cut3D tool paths yet. I'll give it a shot!

Thanks!