vectot art 3d file format question

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
robjeffking
Model of CNC Machine: Zenbot 4848

vectot art 3d file format question

Post by robjeffking »

I have cut 3d and I have bought models off ebay in stl format works well with cut3d. Im looking to buy
the 45 automatic pistol art in style 1 for my gun nut brother. Since its vectric's site I thought v3m format
would be the best option I want to make 1 sided and 2 sided models but reading though the the details ran across this note" Automated 2 and 4 sided toolpath creation - for full 3D models (not V3M files)" what does not v3m files mean? What format should I request to be able to have the most modeling options?

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Re: vectot art 3d file format question

Post by JamesB »

All the files we sell on Vector Art 3D are effectively single sided which is why the V3M is listed as not being an option for using the 2/4 sided machining as its our proprietary format. Although its possible for an STL file to be full 3D and therefore suitable for 2/4 sided cutting the Vector Art 3D STL files are also single sided.

My recommendation would be to go with V3M as it has a built in perimeter boundary for easy cutout and either cut it twice (mirroring the file for the second copy) and glue the halves together, or with some careful setup you may be able to cut it then flip the material and cut the other side. To do that though you really need to have a good concept of how that would work with your setup/machine/software and have a process to jig the material to position it correctly for side 2.

Thanks,
James