Wish I could get a VectorArt 3d file modified slightly.

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
mmatarella

Wish I could get a VectorArt 3d file modified slightly.

Post by mmatarella »

I've purchased 7 models from Vector Art for a project. I've test machined all and have a issue with just one. (No fault of the model)

The Blue Heron has very fine legs. Half the time they chip out as they are SO thin. This has been with a couple different wood species. I would just live with it and use one that works, but these are going to be in the door jamb to a room at Mom & Dads and even if they survive carving I'm afraid even light casual contact from a person will destroy them. (People like to run their fingers over these as they admire!)

I've made it a bit worse by making the depth of the entire Heron in the dish carving a bit deeper too. Some of the other designs REALLY look better with the deeper dish and since they are all going to be in one jamb I can't do them to different depths and the Heron shallower as that will look awful. I have only VCarve and Cut3D. I don't know if Aspire could modify this? I'm wondering if anyone has a application that would allow them to easily modify the legs to be just a little bit wider. Assuming this would be legit and the file would be passed privately and not posted of course.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

mmatarella

Re: Wish I could get a VectorArt 3d file modified slightly.

Post by mmatarella »

A picture is worth a thousand words. Here's a toolpath preview, to show the legs mentioned. And a couple pics when I was showing my folks samples carved in mdf, and just clamping them to a board to select height of each carving and which ones to group on left vs right threshold...
Attachments
A screen cap of the toolpaths as they are now.
A screen cap of the toolpaths as they are now.
Yes, I know the sandollar is incomplete. Stopped the carving early on that one.
Yes, I know the sandollar is incomplete. Stopped the carving early on that one.
Sunroom left side small.jpg

signmarketingman
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Professional done home built.

Post by signmarketingman »

yes,
in Aspire you can add material to thicken up the legs a little or a lot.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

He doesn't have Aspire.
Maybe try increasing the machining allowance, not sure how that would affect the project overall
Doug

mmatarella

Post by mmatarella »

Yes, I wasn't sure if Aspire could do it or not since I don't have access. Since I was working in Cut3D I posted it here, but probably should have posted it in the VectorArt forum or Aspire forum. I'll likely go for Aspire one day, but I've got my hands full being new to ALL woodworking and not just CNC.

If someone is of a mind to help, and to clear up any license issues, I'd even gladly buy them a copy of the Heron file in question so it's not a case of them 'having' it for even a moment without $.

I only see a machining allowance on the roughing toolpath, not the finish tool path in Cut3D.

Mark

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

Download the trail version of aspire and try it out and see if it'll help you.

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Download the trail version of aspire and try it out and see if it'll help you.
Let me save you some time, that will not help you. See this FAQ:

http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... imitations

Mark,

If you haven't done it yet, I would suggest contacting VectorArt 3D directly for options: support@vectorart3d.com

Tim

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

Some folks have impregnated wood with CA glue to harden up the fibres. Perhaps you could rough it out, impregnate and let harden, then do the finish pass. I have no idea how the CA would soak in, or how it might affect the appearance of the wood.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

mmatarella wrote:

I only see a machining allowance on the roughing toolpath, not the finish tool path in Cut3D.

Mark
True, but maybe the rough is whats hogging out the most material, and maybe the allowance carries over into the finish, not sure. In any case, appears to be the only option to try. Maybe try slightly increasing stepover, and making sure you use a fresh, sharp bit.
Other than that, you are getting into designing aspects which cut 3d is simply not made for.
Doug

mmatarella

Post by mmatarella »

There is quite a bit of material left after roughing pass I think, but I will certainly examine just how much around the legs on next test to be sure, thanks!

Brand new bits... Not cheap either. :)

I agree on being beyond what Cut3D can do, I knew I'd need help from someone with Aspire or something too. That's basically what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the ideas and input,
Mark

raymassez
Model of CNC Machine: sharkpro plus

Post by raymassez »

I use a vcarve bit for my finish path, it takes longer but is good for small detail. run it through the simulater. Also I like to use
madrone it is a good hardwood that keeps good detail