Setting up multiple files

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
davidleegoerndt
Model of CNC Machine: unknown

Setting up multiple files

Post by davidleegoerndt »

My router operator wanted to know if this is possible with Cut3D. Can you nest multiple files on a single sheet of material and set up a sequence of tool paths to cut the individual parts or must you cut all of the parts as a single object. Also, can you start and stop a job then resume cutting or is it necessary to start from the beginning?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Setting up multiple files

Post by Adrian »

Starting and stopping a job and then resuming is a function of the software that controls your CNC machine not Cut3D.

Cut3D doesn't support creating multiple toolpaths in one file but if you know the control language your CNC uses you could join the individual files together.

If you have VCarve you can import a toolpathed Cut3D file into that and then create one file with multiple Cut3D files on one sheet.

davidleegoerndt

I saved a cut3D file after creating the tool paths and the only save option is a v3d file. VCarve doesn't read that file format.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You import the file rather than opening. If you go to the file menu and use the Import option you'll see where you load Cut3D files. You have to start a new job first to enable the Import menu.

davidleegoerndt

I've opened a new file in VCarve and imported a Cut3d file. After importing the 3d file the material is shaded orange and the only way I can manipulate the 3d object is to use the origin offset. If I try and import another object it is in the same position as the first object. If I can't select and move the the object independently, loading multiple files isn't going to work.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Once it's loaded you can move it around in the 2D window to anywhere you want on the material using the mouse or the Move command.

davidleegoerndt

Thanks, I got that to work. My router operator is off today so I'm trying to do his work. Hopefully one more question, once I have to files moved to the place I need them, how do I get the file back into cut3d? I tried dxf export but got an error.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You don't put them back into Cut3D. You save the toolpaths from the toolpath tab in VCarve and run the resultant file from that on your machine. Make sure you select the correct Post Processor from the list.

davidleegoerndt

Thanks, this should make my operator happy. I was assuming you needed Cut3d to actually do the cutting, now I see both Cut3d and VCarve simply generate the tool paths and the actual cutting is controlled by the machine processor. Thanks again