Vcarve Pro and 3d questions

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
robjeffking
Model of CNC Machine: Zenbot 4848

Vcarve Pro and 3d questions

Post by robjeffking »

I build alot of decorative boxes I assumed vcarve pro would let me scan images vectorize the image and carve 2/2.5d raised images with 1 flat side. Is this possible or do I need cut 3d with vcarve to make this possible?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Vcarve Pro and 3d questions

Post by Adrian »

Depend on what you mean by raised model. Vcarve can do raised machining via pockets etc. If you want true "3d" effect raised model created from vectors then you need Aspire.

Could you attach or link to a picture that shows what you want to do?

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Yes and no

yes you can scan an image - of course scaning is not a vectric capability thing.

Yes you can convert from a scanned image to a vector. Those vectors will be 2D - or like lines on paper.

Where it gets fuzzy is when you question goes from a flat 2D and goes into a "raised" image.

V-Carve can "import" toolpath from Machinist (free) or from Cut3D.

V-carve cannot create say - a 3D or "relief" of a duck or anything like that. At least not with all the curved raised 3D surfaces.

A flat duck - raised above the surface - yes. Imported toolpath from Cut3D - yes.

BTW --- Cut 3D also cannot create the 3D image.

In order to "create" the image - you need something "like" Aspire that has the capabilities to do the modeling.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

First welcome, Always good to have another craftsman to the world of Vectric. Next go to the website and watch the training videos. Time well spent and it will not only answer your questions but provide you with a wealth of motivation.

robjeffking

Post by robjeffking »

The tutorial on the grapes where the backside is course flat and the grapes are raised 3d inside a pocketed border. Im understanding that this is a cut 3d function and that vcarve pro cannot do this type of work . Cut 3d cannot create the images it has to be imported from another source. Cut 3d cant create 3d models from 2 d images? Ill have to source 3d images for cut 3d to calculate toolpaths? Will cut 3d at least let you drag and size(scale to fit) images?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You can scale models with Cut3D but it's not by dragging. You type in the actual sizes.

Cut3D cannot create models. It's purely a toolpath generator. If you want to create models from 2D images you need Aspire.

The best place to get models from is http://www.vectorart3d.com. You might find that you only you need the free 3D machinist program that they supply to work with their files if you're happy to use only theirs. 3D machinist files can be imported directly into VCarve.

robjeffking

Post by robjeffking »

I think this may be the best solution for me. I don't have access to any images alrdy modeled and cut 3d
and vcarve really don't work together cut3d really will not benefit me right now. I can buy the vector art silver bundle
and use the machinist program for free?

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

Actually Cut3D and 3D Machinist work with VCarve Pro the same way - you generate your toolpaths in either, then import into VCarve Pro for added functionality. Cut3D offers a bit more than 3D machinist; Tabs, muti-sided machining, slicing, importing several 3D formats, etc.
Ron Sloan

robjeffking

Post by robjeffking »

Can cut 3d transform all the vector art into 3d models ?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Not the ones from http://www.vectorart.com only the ones from http://www.vectorart3d.com which are already 3D models.

Cut3D can also process other 3D format such as STL which other sites such as http://www.vectorclip3d.com and http://www.3dmodelclub.com (and others) provide.

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard

Post by ssflyer »

Maybe some clarification is in order. When you mention, "vector art", are you referring to the VectorArt3d models? if so, then they are 3d relief models, made for single sided relief carvings. Cut3D and 3D Machinist will certainly generate toolpaths for these, which can be imported into VCarve Pro. Cut3D can also import full 3D models in several formats, (stl, obj, 3ds, etc) which can be sliced or cut from 1, 2 or 4 sides. I don't think the full 3D models could really be used in VCarve Pro, only the reliefs, which is all you are really looking for, if I understand your needs.

Vector art generally refers to 2D vector drawings, which can be directly used in VCarve Pro - they are not 3D models. It can be a bit confusing, as VectorArt.com and VectorArt3d.com are/were sister sites offering different products. You can see what I mean by taking a look at VectorArt.com.

Edit: Ha! I see Adrian and I were typing at the same time! :lol:
Ron Sloan

robjeffking

Post by robjeffking »

Thanks for the reply vertorart3d is the site Ive been looking at does machinst 3d have the 2 sided capability?

robjeffking

Post by robjeffking »

I see the vectorart are images that are flat carvings and 3d have contours. If I import a 3d image into Vcarve pro for text basically I cant merge the two operarions cut3d will have to run its program then open up vcp to run its added content to this piece?

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard

Post by ssflyer »

3D Machinist only works with the VectorArt3D relief models - there is no back side to them. However, if you want to make, say, a 2 sided sign, you wold simply generate toolpaths for both sides and run separately.
Ron Sloan

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard

Post by ssflyer »

Take a look at this page, and look at "D03 - Importing 3D Toolpaths - Multiple Objects" about half way down the page. It will explain exactly how it is done.
Ron Sloan