Tapered ball nose bits

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
DickL
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

Tapered ball nose bits

Post by DickL »

Hi
I have a project that requires the bit to cut at a depth a little over .75 of an inch. The only ball nose bits that have a cutting length that long are tapered. I could be wrong, but it seems that Cut3D only supports stright ( non tapered ) bits. Can anyone tell me how to enter tapered bits into the cut3d tool database?

Tnx
DickL

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Tapered ball nose bits

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Dick,

In Version 1.11 you would be able to enter them as a Radiused Engraving bit. Just note you will enter a side angle and not the total angle so be sure to see how the bit manufacturer describes their bit and enter accordingly.

Based on your other post you only have the trial version??? If so, you can only cut the included samples.

What exactly are you attempting to do?

Tim

DickL
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

Post by DickL »

Hi
I have a project that uses 1. in thick wood and is double sided. In order to cut half way from each side I need to go a little more than .75 deep. My 1/8 in ball nose bit only has flutes about 1/2 in high. Longer bits are tapered. I am a lisenced cut3d user. I would really like to get the latest version. I think I will e-mail Vectric.

Another problem I am having is setting tabs. Do you know if the tabs have been worked on?

Tnx
DickL

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

I have never had a problem with setting tabs. You are going to need to give us more information, perhaps start a new thread with pictures and include a .v3d file if it doesn't contain any protected models.

Tim

steina81
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger

Post by steina81 »

I have a similar problem. I have an 1/8 ball cutter on a 1/4 shank.

What would happen if I did a 1/8 ball engraver with a 1 deg angle?

It still will not cover the 1/4 length of parallel at 1/8 diam.

Allan Steinkuhl

JimmyD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSalpha, custom rotary indexer

Post by JimmyD »

Dick,

There are ball nose bits that have more than the cutting length you are looking for. You didn't say what diameter you were wanting, but here is a link to something that might help you. I have bought 6" long bits with 1.5" of cutting length from them. I am happy with the bits and the service.

http://www.the-carbide-end-mill-store.c ... oated.html

Jim