Problem choosing rotation axis for double sided machining

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
ab1
Model of CNC Machine: CNCDIY 3040

Problem choosing rotation axis for double sided machining

Post by ab1 »

Hi Folks,

I've searched high and low and haven't been able to find an answer to my problem and I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help. The issue I have is that there doesn't appear to be a way to 'easily' change the axis in which cut3d rotates around to choose the 'top' vs 'bottom' view. It seems that it is currently 'locked' to flip around the X axis however I need to flip it around the Y. I can 'get around' the problem by creating the path for one side, then going back to the start, rotating and flipping the model manually until it has been translated around the Y instead then calculate the second side. One of the main drawbacks to this method (as well as having to do everything twice) is that once the model has changed orientation, all of the tabs disappear and need to be created again! Of course this isn't all that difficult, but just given how easy everything else is in the software, this seems to have been something that was overlooked?

Thoughts?

Vectric staff: is this something that you could include in a later release? I'm thinking it would be something you would set during the first step when you choose the 'sides to machine'.

On a side note, why are the axis indicators for the X and Y axis (coloured red and green) and XYZ markers (in the bottom left top corner) removed from the model view after step 2? Is it just to make viewing the model itself easier since you're getting down to the 'cutting' phase? They don't seem to get in the way of viewing the model in the first two phases and I don't see them being terribly distracting if they were present in the further steps?

Cheers,

Andrew